Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi! A couple of days ago my laptops screen broke. I believe I was playing minecraft on debian when the screen started glitching. I shut down the computer. and after ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

External screen resolution problem.

Hi!

A couple of days ago my laptops screen broke. I believe I was playing minecraft on debian when the screen started glitching. I shut down the computer. and after that when I boot it just shows white stuff that fade to darkness. now this isnt the problem. I plugged an old screen and I get picture. the picture is fine up to grub screen. when I chose one of the two os:ses the picture was fine until the login screen was supposed to come up. both of the screen were just black. I had an knoppix dvd. I put it in and it booted perfectly (exept for some red lines and green flicker that go away sometimes) I suspected that the problem was with the screen resolution and/or refresh rate. So I tried to reinstall debian to see if it makes the instalation settings for the external screen. installation went fine but I still want getting any good results. now when debian boots it show a glitched screen which is improvement. I tried to go and edit the xorg.conf of debian but wasnt any in /etc/X11/ . I want to get my debians screen settings to 1024x768, 48.2 kHz , 59.7Hz. does anybody know how to do this. I can access to debians recovery mode (I guess command lines resolution is smaller) and Knoppix 6.2 DVD. or if you suspect that the problem is not whit the screen settings please tell me what do you think.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    With the new display, can you boot with a live/rescue CD/DVD? If so, then you need to adjust the xorg.conf file in /etc/X11 (or /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d on some newest Debian/Ubuntu distributions).
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    With the new display, can you boot with a live/rescue CD/DVD? If so, then you need to adjust the xorg.conf file in /etc/X11 (or /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d on some newest Debian/Ubuntu distributions).
    It seems that whenever I get these red lines and flicker on my external screen only knoppix works and at the start up knoppix says no screes found. when the red lines go away I can reboot to any system windows and debian and it rezizes the window. also when I get in windows or debian the laptop screen works too. I seems that the graphics card might have overheated and is malfunctioning now.