Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, right now on windows 7, I get 5 to 6 hours of battery life. But on Ubuntu 10.10 (with Unity 2D or whatever it's called) and Fedora 13, I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question What's the best Distro for battery life?

Hi, right now on windows 7, I get 5 to 6 hours of battery life. But on Ubuntu 10.10 (with Unity 2D or whatever it's called) and Fedora 13, I only get about an hour and a half to two hours. I'm kinda bummed because I like using Linux more than Linux, but don't see the point if I only get an hour or so on it.

Can anyone give me some ideas to either a) get Ubuntu and Fedora up to 5+ hours or b) the best "out of box" distro to get 5+ hours (and any tweaks)

Right now I'm considering Debian, Gentoo or Crunchbang, maybe OpenSUSE, but don't know a thing about them (desktop environments like openbox, lxde, xfce, etc)

If someone here can point me in the right direction, that'd be wonderful. Thanks!

Just Joined!
    *Linux more than Windows. oops lol

You might want to google video driver for your laptop and Ubuntu. I have read in some posts about how battery life is shortened because the fan is running constantly for video and battery suffers from it.

I am not sure about best distro for battery life because things like acpi and apm are kernel related more than distro related.

LessWatts.org - Saving Power on Intel systems with Linux

[Phoronix] Extending Ubuntu's Battery Life

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/760131

above link is a bug report for natty
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home