Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sgosnell
Hey guys i have a notebook and the battery i know for a fact its life is over... It wont charge and it wont provide energy to my laptop... The ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Should i remove the dead battery from my notebook or leave it??

Hey guys i have a notebook and the battery i know for a fact its life is over... It wont charge and it wont provide energy to my laptop... The question is should i leave it in the notebook or take it out and run with the powercable only and no battery?? Is their any hazzzard to my laptop if i leave the dead battery inside??? I think i read somewere that the batterry still acts as something...? Any knoledge out their?

It can cause a slight increase in temperature in that area of the laptop, since it's still completing a circuit. So that's something to consider.
    On the other hand, keeping the battery in place will keep the battery bay clear of debris should you wish to replace it in the future.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

The danger is that the dead battery, when subjected to continuous charging, could explode or leak into the notebook. I would take it out. I often run mine with the battery removed, to prevent the battery heating up and deteriorating. There are no issues with having the battery removed other than having no battery backup in the event of a power failure, but if the battery is dead, it won't keep the computer alive anyway, so it all downside for having it in, and no upside.
    jayd512 likes this.

I honestly hadn't considered the possibility of the battery leaking, but that's a very good point.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.