Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have an Acer Aspire one netbook D255E. A friend of mine installed Linux on it, partitioned 50/50 with Windows 7 Starter. Yesterday when I tried to reboot using the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

error: filesystem unknown. grub rescue>

I have an Acer Aspire one netbook D255E. A friend of mine installed Linux on it, partitioned 50/50 with Windows 7 Starter. Yesterday when I tried to reboot using the windows partition instead of linux, it loaded some files, then rebooted and showed the following message: error: filesystem unknown. grub rescue>
    I have linux saved onto my USB stick, tried to boot form that. No luck. I donīt have the linux or the windows disks.
    Note: I know little or nothing about computers! This has me totally confused. Any help would be appreciated.

Do you Linux Live-CD ? If so, boot into rescue mode and then do "fdisk -l" and post its output here.
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakshmipathi View Post
    Do you Linux Live-CD ? If so, boot into rescue mode and then do "fdisk -l" and post its output here.
    I donīt have the CD. Is there any way to rescue it from the memory stick?

What Linux distro you have? If its not a bootable memory stick , Try using slax for USB and boot into the machine Slax: get slax.

More questions - Does Windows 7 working?
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Just Joined!
    Iīm not sure which version of linux it is. the memory stick isnīt bootable so i did what you said and tried to install slax but the memoryīs not big enough to hold it. If i want to install slax i have to delete linux from the USB. nothing is working, it gives me no choice when i start up whether or not i want to use windows.

i tried putting slax onto a CD and booting from the memory stick and CD (didnīt work) then I tried copying the grub folder of linux onto a CD and booting from that (didnīt work)

Well, Windows is easy to fix, use f8 or whatever get you into safe mode. And from there do C:fixmbr. This will wipe out Grub and boot into Windows. To recover Linux you would probably need a rescue cd. (knoppix works for me). Then Chroot to your linux partition and reinstall Grub.. Grub - properly installed with the correct responses will acknowledge Windows. Make sure you install Grub to the first partition.... this is probably where you went wrong. There is an option to install grub on the Linux partition only - I never selected it.

The "fixmbr" will not acknowledge Linux.It will get you back into Windows. You probably have the new 2.0 Grub. I find it trying... reverted back to old.

You can only have one bootable partition (see flags). Windows on my system is the bootable partition, Grub does the rest.