Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, (First post!) After recently getting ripped off by a major chain computer store. I don't have my Kaspersky Anti-virus on this laptop anymore (kind of glad) So now I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Suggestions for Distro?

Hi,
    (First post!)

After recently getting ripped off by a major chain computer store. I don't have my Kaspersky Anti-virus on this laptop anymore (kind of glad)

So now I decided I want to have yet another linux computer! Can't get enough of Linux!

Here's the tech specs:
    Compaq Presario V2405US
    1.8Ghz Processor
    1.5GB RAM
    120GB Hard drive

I spent about $150 on it last year to get it a decent hard drive and a GB more RAM. It was hard to get hard drive for it though, as it needs the PATA ones for laptops.

So what do you suggest I use for a distro on it? I currently like Kororaa (based on fedora) and I have it on a Desktop I built. But I figured it might be fun to see what everyone thinks I should put on it

Security is more important to me then anything. Which is one reason why I like Linux. As it doesn't have quite as much Virus problems as Windows does

So I want something secure and that would be decently fast on this computer. (And I know Linux in general is secure, so don't start flaming me about that, I already know that it is more secure)

Thanks, and hope you all have a nice day

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome!

I'd recommend installing an Arch or Debian base system only through a netinstall, then adding only those apps that you really want, or need. That way, you don't wind up with lots of bloat and apps that you'll never use.
    oz

Hello and Welcome!
    If you're comfortable with Fedora-based distro, you could always try Fedora15. I'm not a fan of the Gnome 3 layout, but that's just me.
    You could also give Ubuntu or Mint a chance. They are very stable, and have huge software repos to install from.
    Really, though, I'd suggest trying several different distros and finding one that really suits your tastes.
    LiveCD's are great for that!
    You can also take a distro quiz, see what it has to say for you.

Either way you go, just have some fun with it!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    (Full edit done)

I tried the distro quiz, it recommended Fedora or OpenSuSe.

The desktop environment doesn't matter that much to me. I don't like ones that look like Windows though. So I tend to stay away from the ones that have the bar only on the bottom.

I kind of like the Fedora Gnome, I will download and try it out

I am going through DIstrowatch also, trying to find something more unusual or different.

I kind of like "MoonOS" but I will have to test them out
    Last edited by jreidsma; 08-29-2011 at 11:12 PM.

I like Fedora 15... But it is starting to get me mad. There are no right click options!

I might install Kororaa, and install docky onto that.

Kororaa is still using Fedora 14 right now, but will have a new release soon with Fedora 15 based. There shouldn't be a security problem there should it? Like how it's a month or two behind Fedora?

As far as a security problem, I wouldn't think so.
    They just take the stable releases of Fedora and apply their changes and that takes a little time.
    A good example of the same situation would be either Scientific Linux or CentOS. Both of them are full on clones of RHEL, but their releases are timed a little after RHEL, for the simple reason that it takes a few weeks to make their own modifications to included software and such.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Hi,
    I have MoonOS on the laptop now, I think it will be staying there to I got everything to update and its good now

I have Kororaa on the desktop I built. So it's not left out