Find the answer to your Linux question:
I wonder if anyone has this laptop running any Linux distro but Ubuntu. The thing is that I've got the latest (11.10 beta 2) Ubuntu installed on it and waking ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

HP DV6 2113sa

I wonder if anyone has this laptop running any Linux distro but Ubuntu. The thing is that I've got the latest (11.10 beta 2) Ubuntu installed on it and waking up from suspend does not work for me. It did not work with the previous version but worked fine with 10.10. I am just wondering if it is an Ubuntu specific problem or it does not work on all distro because of the kernel or ATI graphic chip driver.

Just Joined!
    Hi

I am using Fedora Core 15 with the 2.6.40.4-5.fc15.x86_64 Kernel, and the ATI closed source Drivers, no luck here.

I was under the impression that this was due to an incompatibility within the BIOS and the fact that it does not conform to standards correctly,

I looked into this about a year ago and cannot remember the specifics - but there are tests to confirm if your BIOS was built with MS tools, and if so there is a good chance that S2R will never work correctly.

Jay

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jayfitzpatrick View Post
    Hi

I am using Fedora Core 15 with the 2.6.40.4-5.fc15.x86_64 Kernel, and the ATI closed source Drivers, no luck here.

I was under the impression that this was due to an incompatibility within the BIOS and the fact that it does not conform to standards correctly,

I looked into this about a year ago and cannot remember the specifics - but there are tests to confirm if your BIOS was built with MS tools, and if so there is a good chance that S2R will never work correctly.

Jay
    it actually worked on one of the previous versions of Ubuntu (10.04 as far as I remember) but neither before nor after

Just Joined!
    you are having more luck than me then, I have tried both the x86 and x64 versions of FC13 14 and 15 on this system and always get the same results,

S2R - system suspends, screen shuts down, fans etc stop, lights start to flash in the same manner as they do with a windows S2R,

Powering the system back on (via power button or opening lid) fans kick back in, back light comes on, lights on numlock etc, but system is unresponsive (and no display) system is inaccessable via network, no HDD activity, no keys working (wireless / volume / mouse - enable disable) hard reset only option (power button does not work unless you hold it for 5 seconds)

When I try to start the system back up I get a let error code 2 flashes 1 second break 1 flash, and according to the HP site this error code does not exist!

I am then forced to remove the power from the system to reset (both mains and battery)

these symptoms have been the same since getting the lap, I have been waiting for a replacement BIOS but I recon that they have stopped developing for this system and since Linux is not a supported OS on it they will not provide support.

I have been thinking about coreboot to replace the BIOS but this lap is not listed as being a supported one, that said all the chipsets seem supported, but I have no C experience and do not want to brick my system.

Jay

Just Joined!
    Did you try to file a bug in Fedora?

Just Joined!
    Naw didn't bother..

i spend a few days looking at this after getting the computer but cannot remember the full details.

I believe that I used the following articles but gave up and tuned the boot speed instead!

(the site is not allowing me to post a link, do a google for 320199-howto-fix-your-buggy-dsdt)

sorry I'm not more help

Jay

Just Joined!
    Well i can confirm that this still does not work with the latest version of Fedora

Clean Build installed via netinstall

Fedora 16 x64
    Kernel 3.1.1-2.fc16.x86_64

Jay

If an earlier version works, why not use it?
    Registered Linux user #526930