Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have a Dell N7010 with a Intel HD Graphics resource and can not boot in runlevel=5 but I can boot in runlevel=3 Any help would be appreciated. Fedore12 OS...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

sstevenc1

I have a Dell N7010 with a Intel HD Graphics resource and can not boot in runlevel=5 but I can boot in runlevel=3 Any help would be appreciated.
    Fedore12 OS

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Boot into runlevel=3 and then try the command "startx". Report the errors back here for help.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Boot into runlevel=3 and then try the command "startx". Report the errors back here for help.
    I logged onto the system ok, then logged on to my user acct ok.
    At both the system logon and my user logon screens I used the command `startx`
    and the USB HDD activity light blinked, but the screen remained black. To exit this condition I would use ctrl-alt-pwr button to shut down.

My instructor advised me that I would have to run a different script for my laptop
    than that of the school desktop and change that script according to where I boot the system. Sounds funny.

The school is running Win-XP Pro and the desktop resources is unknown.

He, the instructor, stated that the resolution of my laptop might be a concern.

Ok. You say the screen stayed black. Did the previous prompt disappear and the entire screen went black? What happens if you then press ctrl-alt-F2? Do you get another text login prompt?

Just Joined!
    I have logged on to the system and my user ok in runlevel=3 and started the `startx` command and a black screen appears and stays.
    My instructor my think that the resolution of my laptop might be an issue.
    He advised me that I may have to build different scripts for logon contingent to the computer I logon to. Sounds funny.

Just Joined!
    Haven't tried the cxrtl-alt-F2 option. I have a wireless laptop that F2 controls the wireless connection I am using for internet access. I might need to connect hard wire for me to resolve this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by sstevenc1 View Post
    I have logged on to the system and my user ok in runlevel=3 and started the `startx` command and a black screen appears and stays.
    My instructor my think that the resolution of my laptop might be an issue.
    He advised me that I may have to build different scripts for logon contingent to the computer I logon to. Sounds funny.
    I'm not sure how much your instructor knows about Linux. You said FC12 is installed on a Dell N7010 netbook. You may have the wrong video driver installed. The login script should have nothing to do with the Xorg X server running properly - that is a matter of the display manager that starts automatically when you boot into runlevel 5, or you manually start the X server with the startx command. In any case, it sounds like a video driver issue, which is why I want you to try to access one of the alternate consoles (FC will start a bunch of them, accessible with the ctrl-alt-FN key combo, where FN is function key N, such as F2, F3, etc). That will switch you out of graphics and back into text mode automatically. Then, you can log in to that alternate console and run some commands from the command line to diagnose what is going on.

Just Joined!
    Rubberman if I try your suggestions I will loose you ofcourse and I do appreciate your time and talent

Just Joined!
    I only wish I knew what commands to enter...Just starting the LINUX education three weeks ago and have searched the web for answers, intellinux.org and such but i will definately use your suggestions to venture out on my own

Just Joined!
    The instuctor runs around that OS like he invented it. I believe he is very knowledgable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast