Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have this laptop from stone age, Toshiba Tecra 730CDT (Intel Pentium 150 MHz, 48MB RAM, 2GB HDD, Network interface PC card). I'd like to put it to use ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Install remote access client on a lousy PC.

Hello,

I have this laptop from stone age, Toshiba Tecra 730CDT (Intel Pentium 150 MHz, 48MB RAM, 2GB HDD, Network interface PC card). I'd like to put it to use as a terminal to a VM, hosted on a server in LAN.

So, I am looking for the least resource-requiring way to install remote access client on a lousy PC. Preferrably, it should channel also remote sound. I don't need it for anything else, it would be great if, upon powering this laptop on, I am faced with VNC user/login prompt, and that's it.

Any suggestions?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    What kind of remote system are you wanting to connect to with this client - Windows? Linux? Unix?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    I was thinking about some GUI Linux, more specifically, Ubuntu or Mint.

150 MHz, 48MB RAM,
    I was thinking about some GUI Linux, more specifically, Ubuntu or Mint.
    Not going to happen. Need more ram to start. Even Tiny Core needs 64mb of ram. Maybe if you have the skillset. Damn Small Linux which is not maintained anymore may work for you with those specs.

Maybe rubberman can suggest something better since I know he runs a low spec machine for one thing that I can't remember right now.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    Not going to happen. Need more ram to start. Even Tiny Core needs 64mb of ram. Maybe if you have the skillset. Damn Small Linux which is not maintained anymore may work for you with those specs.

Maybe rubberman can suggest something better since I know he runs a low spec machine for one thing that I can't remember right now.
    I run Debian Etch (2.6.24 kernel) on a 64MB ARM board, but it works just fine w/ 32MB. That is with the X-libraries so I can use xterm's that display on my workstation. I don't know how much the X server would take up on it since it doesn't have a suitable display device and I haven't needed to use a framebuffer (virtual display device) on it. It may work on a 48MB Intel system. The CPU speed should be adequate for client use, and you would want to reduce the running services to the minimum. So, visit the Debian web site for more information: Debian -- The Universal Operating System
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!