Find the answer to your Linux question:
Can anyone help? Before I beggin I should make you aware I am a total novice at this! Aquired an easyPC 4G surf from work and tried to get a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question rsync error:

Can anyone help? Before I beggin I should make you aware I am a total novice at this!
    Aquired an easyPC 4G surf from work and tried to get a wi-fi connection at home. and got the message rsync error code 10 blah blah blah. . I searched for a solution and somebody suggested I enter the following code:

rsync -av --rsh=ssh host::module /dest

to which I got the reply:

ssh: host: temporary failure in name resolution
    rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [receiver]
    rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(453) [receiver=2.6.9]

I have no idea what any of this means or what to do about it! I just want to get a wi-fi connection Any help appreciated.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    The rsync command is a backup command used to copy modified files to some backup system on the network. The system has been (obvious to me, at least) configured to automatically backup changed files to some other system on the old network. Since you aren't attached to that network, you are getting these problems. I suspect that this is being started as a cron job (a tool to start jobs at specific points in time), which you should be able to remove. See the cron and crontab man pages.

As for getting your WiFi working, go to this site: Welcome - Linux Wireless
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    [QUOTE=Rubberman;883876]

Thanks Rubberman, I will try this and post how I get on!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    [QUOTE=kirk1276;884107]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post

Thanks Rubberman, I will try this and post how I get on!
    We like to teach newbies how to fish, but sometimes we just have to get out of the boat and lend a hand! Holler if you get totally stumped. We all have fun days with our computers. My UPS tripped last night, shutting down my server, router, and storage arrays right in the middle of moving a bunch of files! So, I was up till late getting everything fixed up and working again... Fortunately, modern Linux file systems are pretty darned reliable, and fsck was able to fix them up. However, since a 2TB LVM Group was writing at the time the power went out, it had to do a low-level scan to fix stuff up, which took a couple of hours! Anyway, I think its time I changed out the battery in the ups. I think it is past its life expectancy (doh!).
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!