Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok I am very new to Linux and since I had an old thinkpad 240x I thought why not check out Linux. Problem is this device will not boot to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Thinkpad 240x

Ok I am very new to Linux and since I had an old thinkpad 240x I thought why not check out Linux.

Problem is this device will not boot to anything except the hdd.

At the moment it runs windows ME dual with XP

I have tried Unetbootin to download/install Mint (and others) and the same to run a downloaded iso everything seems to go well but when I restart all I get is the same old windows boot manager showing XP or ME.

I have heard of things like grub and plop but have NO idea at all how to run them or use them

Ultimately I would like to install a ported version of Android

If anybody has ANY ideas please help, my hair has been well and truly pulled out.

Richard Smith

Are these the specs?

at 64MB of ram. You should think of upgrading the ram to the max first.

Right now I think you're only option is Tiny Core Linux for 64MB of ram.

What are the minimum requirements?

An absolute minimum of RAM is 46mb. TC won't boot with anything less, no matter how many terabytes of swap you have.
    Microcore runs with 28mb of ram.
    The minimum cpu is i486DX (486 with a math processor).

A recommended configuration:
    Pentium 2 or better, 128mb of ram + some swap
    So in next post. Tell us what your ram, cpu, whether it has a cd drive and floppy drive, hardrive size.

My oldest working get on the net laptop is a IBM A22M. It runs Antix
    well using a Belkin F5D 7010 .ver 6 pcmcia wireless card. I can boot usb on it also though the bios does not support it via a PLOP floppy I made also.

You tube videos that I want to watch need to be downloaded though and watched in a application video player like gxine or gnome-mplayer.
    Poor baby can't take the strain of online video viewing. Don't expect much from that laptop if I read your specs right till you upgrade the ram.

Even 256MB of ram will get you into Antix, Puppy, or Slitaz linux running range. Don't open too many heavy applications though. Need a big /swap partition also like about 700MB.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Hi, yes those specs are correct but ram is upgraded to 128

Thanks for helping

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by rsmith3972 View Post
    Hi, yes those specs are correct but ram is upgraded to 128

Thanks for helping
    further- cpu is as spec hdd is 40gb no cd, no floppy, no network,

will not boot to any of the above apart from hdd which is dual boot me & xp with 4 partitions as below
    ME C:\ 2GB (FAT)
    LINUX D:\ 4GB (FAT32) (this is in preparation for linux)
    XP E:\ 4GB (FAT32)
    STORE F: 27 GB (FAT32)

another question is if I manage to install linux how do I ensure that it goes into d: as unetbootin always tries to install in the hosted drive ie XP?

Thanks again

Richard

another question is if I manage to install linux how do I ensure that it goes into d: as unetbootin always tries to install in the hosted drive ie XP?
    In the Unetbootin Window that opens. Hit the type button. Select you internal Hardrive.
    Then Hit the drive button. Select your d drive in it.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    In the Unetbootin Window that opens. Hit the type button. Select you internal Hardrive.
    Then Hit the drive button. Select your d drive in it.
    Yes thats what I've been doing but only the hosted drive shows up which is e:\ where xp is installed and also what I'm using to run unetbootin

I don't have a setup like yours to test this on. I wouldn't bother to keep Windows on something that old (but don't listen to me. Keep Windows on it since it is working with it)

I am just chatting about my personal preference. Since this is a Windows Unetbootin Application you are using. I'd move on from this forum and start a thread on your question
    at UNetbootin -Put Linux on USB - computer help forum which is a windows forum.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home