Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone, I own the Asus eee 4g 701 with xandros. I recently did an f9 on the machine as I had it stored for quite some time and decided ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Asus eee 4g 701 owner

Hi everyone, I own the Asus eee 4g 701 with xandros. I recently did an f9 on the machine as I had it stored for quite some time and decided to pick it back up again and I wanted a fresh start. I had to do quite a bit of digging online for some tutorials and instructions on how to do things as it seems support for this oldie but goodie is dying off. I used to access the eee user forums quite a bit, but it looks like that site has disappeared. Anyway, I was able to get some help on updating the really outdated firefox that is already installed. I was given a link to a file to extract and run and I was able to update to firefox 12. After doing this and clicking on the icon for the web, it still brought up the old version of firefox. It seems I just extracted and updated a new version, but did not replace the old one. I was told that I now have to replace the path that the web launcher icon points to so that it will open the new firefox. I am stumped on how to do this. Does anyone here know? Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section!

Linux Guru
    I ditched Xandros a long time ago on My EEEPC 900. Same for Windows XP on my EEEPC 701 SD.

So I forget where and how exactly Xandros configures it file system or opening a terminal in it
    You are right about EEEPC Forums where I am a moderator Ant (site admin) has not sorted new IPB forum site yet I guess. Been down off and on since Feb,

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...BLyzOSNwNs9cYw

Link is a pdf user guide for Xandos.
    If me. I would try the

Code:
    locate firefox
    command in terminal to find the application.desktop file and edit it to point to where you installed Firefox 12 I wil be suprised if it runs though. Libs in Xandros might throw a error as they are outdated.

If this is a static Firefox install like in /opt. Which has all the libs needed in the extracted .tar.bz2 folder. You may need to make a new Firefox launcher called firefox12.desktop
    Then symlink to the easy mode desktop in Xandros. Like I said. I don't Xandros any more so this advice is from memory from a long way back. Default for something like firefox.desktop is usually in /usr/share/applications folder in Linux Distros, With Xandros I don't remember. I run AntiX on both of my EEEPCs.

Edit: I can pull up the eeepc wiki though.

home [EeeUser Eee PC Wiki]

Maybe you can search for tips in it also.

2nd Edit: Durn it seems broke also.

Linux Guru
    Since EEEPC forum is down. You might get better answers for what you want at

forums.xandros.com :: Index

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close