Find the answer to your Linux question:
It's all in the title. I was just thinking that Linux and OS X are to alike and you won't have as many benefits of running linux on a mac ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Is Linux Useless on Mac?

It's all in the title. I was just thinking that Linux and OS X are to alike and you won't have as many benefits of running linux on a mac then you would on a pc.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    People frequently dual-boot their mac's with Linux and OSX, though there is hardware in the system for which there are few (if any) drivers for. That makes it difficult to get full use of the system with Linux - Apple really likes to keep "foreigners" out of their hardware. Most of the time, it is preferable to install Linux on an Apple system in a virtual machine. My company supports Apple, Windows, and Linux laptops for engineers. For Apples and Windows systems, when we need to run Linux (frequently, since most of our products are for running on Linux servers) on our development systems we simply run it in a virtual machine (VMWare, Parallels, VirtualBox). Works fine - I'm doing Hadoop/MapReduce/OpenTSDB and native java and c++ development on my VirtualBox RHEL 6.2 system VM. Works fine, and I can still use my office productivity tools in the Windows environment (VOIP, IM, Outlook, etc).
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Apple does, indeed, like to make it slightly difficult to dual-boot. Their own dual-boot system aims only for recent versions of Windows.

But I can say this with utter confidence... Unless you have need for certain OSX software*, then go for a PC.

*Apple computers are pricey.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Yeah what you could do is just buy a pc and if you need anything that requires OS X, just dual boot a linux distro and your problem may be solved.