Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone, I have acquired 2 older hp business series laptops and need advice on installing Linux. I've always wanted to get into linux and this seems like a great ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Advice on Linux for these laptops

Hello everyone, I have acquired 2 older hp business series laptops and need advice on installing Linux. I've always wanted to get into linux and this seems like a great opportunity if these machines can handle it. My research has indicated Mint is the best distribution for me, but my systems might be too slow. Here are the specs:
    HP Compaq nx6110 - intel centurion (1.6 ghz), 512 mb of ram (the max I can upgrade this to is 2 gigs)
    HP Compaq nx6325 - AMD Turion 64x2 (1.6 ghz), 1 gig of ram (the max I can upgrade this to is 4 gigs)
    I have found conflicting minimum requirements for Maya. Is the 512 mb too small? Is it worth upgrading the ram on both, or do I need to look for a different distro?
    Thanks!

Both computers should do okay with a Linux system.
    The first one (512 RAM), might be a little sluggish with some mainstream distros (Mint, Ubuntu, Fedora, etc). But it would do well with lighter versions like antiX or CrunchBang.
    The second computer, though, should be okay with anything you want to put on it.

And if you can upgrade RAM... never a bad idea.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Thanks I upgraded the RAM on the compaq nx6110 to 2 gigs and played around with Mint. Everything worked great and I really liked Mint, so I installed it. Thanks again for the advice!

Just Joined!
    Choose HP Compaq nx6325, it has a better specs, you can do more things with it.