Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am looking into buying a new laptop. I use linux on my desktop computer and would like to be able to use it on my laptop as well. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Suggestions for Laptop?

I am looking into buying a new laptop. I use linux on my desktop computer and would like to be able to use it on my laptop as well. I usually use Ubuntu, but with their recent developments, I am looking for another flavour of linux to try out (probably mint or arch).

My problem is that I want a sturdy laptop. I like Apple's idea of the unibody frame so that it isn't cheap plastic like most of the other laptops on the market but I completely despise what Apple stands for and would never buy their products. Now my question, any suggestions on which laptops I should look into?

Linux Engineer
    With such a large variance in laptop construction, even inside the same brand name, it's going to be hard without physically touching one. If you have access to Costco, they usually have good deals on laptops in store. Other than that, just check out newegg.com and read customer reviews. Many people are like yourself, and very picky about quality of the frame.

Just suggetions -- put it in one of these Aluminum Laptop Case - Metal Laptop Case and Boycott Sony!
    Last edited by zenwalker; 06-28-2012 at 04:35 AM. Reason: typo

I have a couple of IBM Laptops that are old as dirt and still running. So I consider them pretty sturdy and IBM has been Linux friendly for a long time.

Just a example Laptop.

Newegg IBM

You can probably find Hewlitt Packard and Acer and Dell Laptops with more powerful specs for the same price. I am just partial to IBM because I have yet to have one break down. On the High end. I have a couple of old toughbooks. One made by Amrel. The other is a Panasonic.. Both of those are Linux friendly also. But. Buying one new will hardly be cost effective since the prices are very high.

Another lesser known brand is Itronix. These are Linux friendly also. All brands I posted when I say Linux friendly means that the hardware on these laptops are compatible with the modules in the Linux kernel. All the toughbooks I posted cost a few thousand usually new, unless you can find a refurbished or used one at a cheaper price. I bought my Amrel for $15.00 without hardrive/caddy, dvd drive/caddy, ac adapter,and battery. Specs on it are low also. But I had some parts to get bit going and it rides with me in my motorcycle saddle bags. It runs AntiX 12.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    I have a couple of IBM Laptops that are old as dirt and still running. So I consider them pretty sturdy and IBM has been Linux friendly for a long time.
    You still have those rok? IBM really made sturdy laptops. I wonder why they chose to sell it to Lenovo. I had a friend who accidentally dropped his Think Pad one flight of stairs and guess what? It worked normally just the same. Aside from some scratches in the case, it restarted and he was able to use it many years after that incident. I guess they don't make laptops like they used to.
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

You still have those rok?
    Yep. A IBM A22M and a IBM T23. I just picked up another IBM A22M from a USA Ubuntu forum member for free as long as I paid shipping costs. That one I will donate to a senior citizen (will have to put Windows on it) after I get through playing with it and doing some screen fix (lcd ribbon cable is probably a bit loose).

I guess they don't make laptops like they used to.
    Like everything else, cars,boats,motorcycles, you name it. We live in the Bic lighter generation instead of the Zippo Lighter generation. If you want a good upgradeable laptop where everything is not soldered to the mother board (modular design) and want the newest and latest gear.

Lifebook Design Combines All Your Gadgets Into One Modular Laptop : TreeHugger

This concept looks pretty cool also

B-Squares' Brilliant Plot to Take Over Electronics With Lego-Like Gadgets : TreeHugger
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by nujinini View Post
    I guess they don't make laptops like they used to.
    Why? I have a thinkpad now, I don't think their quality not as well as before.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by nujinini View Post
    You still have those rok? IBM really made sturdy laptops. I wonder why they chose to sell it to Lenovo. I had a friend who accidentally dropped his Think Pad one flight of stairs and guess what? It worked normally just the same. Aside from some scratches in the case, it restarted and he was able to use it many years after that incident. I guess they don't make laptops like they used to.
    I heard the same story about about a Lenovo Thinkpad that my friend has. He was a pillion of another friend and while they are travelling, the Thinkpad somehow slipped from under his arms and fell onto the road. They went back, picked it up and tried to start it. It did start and he's still using the machine until today. Craziness...