Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
As for the on-screen KB on Ubuntu, I can't say for certain.[/QUOTE] There are a Ccouple keyboard issues The main annoying one is that Onboard the built in screentap keyboard ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

As for the on-screen KB on Ubuntu, I can't say for certain.[/QUOTE]

There are a Ccouple keyboard issues The main annoying one is that Onboard the built in screentap keyboard needsto becset to always on top to be usable in the Unity desktop search field.

Handwriting recognition is OK letter by letter with Cellwriter, easily downloaded from the Ubuntu software repositories
    MyScript Stylus attempts to provide Windows 7 type handwriting recognition but so far seems slow. It is also proprietary.

However, I have only used it about 5 hours of screen time and it is improving as it learns my handwriting [I'm using a trial version ]
    I am not sure I will buy it yet

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by funk7997 View Post
    Well it is actually. I just bought it off of eBay. I'm not sure exactly how old it is, but it has Windows Vista Business COA so it can't be older then 5 years. The problem with replacing the hard drive is that it's a 1.8" ZIF connection hard drive. They cost more to replace than SATA hard drives and are hard to find in capacities higher than 100GB. I haven't even found one that spins faster than 4200RPM yet. I'll probably put in an SSD eventually, as I've found some of those. Kinda pricey though.
    yeah, i hear you. i bought one of those a couple years ago for work, and I remember I could only get a 4200RPM version. does the MoBo have a CF card by chance? You could always use a (relatively) cheap CF Card as your primary hard drive.

Concerning Live booting distros, I've been doing that with a USB key with good results. I don't have access to a USB Keyboard at the moment, but I have a usb mouse that I use sometimes. Does Ubuntu have an on screen keyboard that I could use with a mouse to install the drivers? I know that ArtistX had one called OnBoard.
    -funk7997
    OnBoard should be available in regular Ubuntu. In fact, you might be able to hack your system to make it available during Grub:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ac...usetweaksAtGDM

Also, what about using SSH to remote in to install drivers, etc.?

Just Joined!
    Where can I download Ubuntu 11.10? I know that ArtistX is based on 11.10 because when it logs out it shows Ubuntu 11.10 on the logon screen. I attached a screenshot of GParted showing a warning about my hard drive. Is it important? Also, is there a way to delete just Windows 7? I don't have enough storage space to backup all of my data.
    -funk7997
    Attached Images Attached Images

Where can I download Ubuntu 11.10?
    Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot)

I can't quite make out what is said in your screenshot. You could use something like ImageShack to post a larger image.

If you mean delete the OS, but retain the data... I'm afraid not. Your best bet would be to offload your data somehow. Transfer via USB, SD card or perhaps an online hosting service.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

On my unit, the keyboard was essential to be able to get to the point where you could open an onscreen key board.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Trusted Penguin
    Where can I download Ubuntu 11.10? I know that ArtistX is based on 11.10 because when it logs out it shows Ubuntu 11.10 on the logon screen.
    You can download it from Ubuntu's website here:

http://releases.ubuntu.com/11.10/

but why do you not want to run the latest version?

I attached a screenshot of GParted showing a warning about my hard drive. Is it important? Also, is there a way to delete just Windows 7? I don't have enough storage space to backup all of my data.
    i cannot make out the text in the error pic you posted. can you post it to imageshack or photobucket or something and then link back here?

is it that it is just complaining about not being able to read the filesystem b/c it has Win 7 on it? if so, you should be able to delete the partition via the Ubuntu installer (provided that you don't care about the data on it). the installer will then happily allow you to create a new partition and format it with a Linux filesystem (ext3, ext4, etc.)

Edit: heh, i should have said "ditto Jay"
    Last edited by atreyu; 07-31-2012 at 12:24 AM. Reason: what jay said

Just Joined!
    tbquixote, did 11.10 include the pen drivers or did you have to install them yourself? I'm making a live usb key for 11.10 right now and I'll post my results. The screenshot said:
    ntfsresize v2011.4.12AR.4 (libntfs-3g)
    ERROR(5): Failed to check '/dev/sda2' mount state: Input/
    output error
    Probably /etc/mtab is missing. It's too risky to continue.
    You might try
    an another Linux distro.

Unable to read the contenst of this file system!
    Because of this some operations may be unavailable.

The cause might be a missing software package.
    The following list of software packages is required for ntfs
    file system support: ntfsprogs.
    That is word for word what it said in the warning.
    -funk7997

EDIT: The pen works out of the box with 11.10.
    Last edited by funk7997; 07-31-2012 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Update

Trusted Penguin
    tbquixote, did 11.10 include the pen drivers or did you have to install them yourself? I'm making a live usb key for 11.10 right now and I'll post my results. The screenshot said:

That is word for word what it said in the warning.
    -funk7997
    what this from a Live boot? if so, then I am guessing that the version of the ntfs-3g driver is not new enuf to handle the awesome greatness of Win 7.

I was focusing on something else when I made my last post, but atreyu mentioned something that I should have thought about, as well.
    Running the most recent version of Ubuntu (or Xubuntu, Lubuntu, etc.) would be beneficial.
    Newer system means having more drivers installed by default. And 12.04 is a LTS release... and this one promises 5 years of support for all releases.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    i think i'll just buy a usb keyboard and use it to install ubuntu 12.04. Does anyone know how to partition my hard drive so I can dual boot Win7 and Ubuntu without Wubi. I don't prefer Wubi because I've had problems with it in the past.
    -funk7997

EDIT:Just found out that the pen drivers are included in 12.04. The first time I booted, it was just frozen.
    Last edited by funk7997; 07-31-2012 at 01:44 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast