Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
You should be able to shrink the Win partition using the tool in the Windows Control Panel... I don't remember what it's called, but partition manager comes to mind. Or ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

You should be able to shrink the Win partition using the tool in the Windows Control Panel... I don't remember what it's called, but partition manager comes to mind.
    Or you could use Parted Magic to do the job.
    Then, once you have available space on your drive (say 20 -30 GB), the Ubuntu installer will easily detect Windows, and ask if you want to install along side. Thus creating a dual-boot system.
    Last edited by jayd512; 07-31-2012 at 04:32 AM. Reason: fixed link
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    You should be able to shrink the Win partition using the tool in the Windows Control Panel... I don't remember what it's called, but partition manager comes to mind.
    It is called "Disk Management" and is a snap-in for the MS Management Console. You can launch the MSMC by typing this in the Run box:

Code:
    compmgmt.msc
    Then, under Storage, click on Disk Management.

Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    It is called "Disk Management" and is a snap-in for the MS Management Console.
    Thanks for that.
    I do know that Disk Management does a great job of partition management. So that might be a good way to go for the OP.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    I'm was going to use Windows 7 to partition my hard drive, but Windows 7 runs so unstable that I'm afraid it'll freeze in the middle of the process and the only way to fix it if Windows 7 freezes on this computer is to restart it. I can't seem to do it GParted, as it won't let me shrink the partition more than 1MiB. PartitionWizard7 Bootable USB works, but I can only use a mouse as it doesn't have a virtual keyboard and it would take forever to reach 30GB. Do you guys know another tool or should I just wait until this afternoon and get a keyboard?
    -funk7997

Trusted Penguin
    Why I you trying to shrink it to less than 1MiB? If you are not going to use it, why not just delete it in the Linux installer? Or did I miss something...?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    Why I you trying to shrink it to less than 1MiB? If you are not going to use it, why not just delete it in the Linux installer? Or did I miss something...?
    I wanna keep my Win7 install in a separate partition so that I can copy all my files, documents, downloads, etc. from my Win7 partition to my Ubuntu partition. Then I'll delete the Win7 partition and merge it with the Ubuntu partition. By the way, what will the Ubuntu want to format my drive to?
    -funk7997

You can go to distrowatch.com to read about the different distro's and download them.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by funk7997 View Post
    I wanna keep my Win7 install in a separate partition so that I can copy all my files, documents, downloads, etc. from my Win7 partition to my Ubuntu partition. Then I'll delete the Win7 partition and merge it with the Ubuntu partition.
    ah, okay, then, resizing is the way to go (unless you have an external USB drive handy where you could copy the backup to - or another PC on the network to which you can push a backup of files to).

Have you tried the Gparted Live CD? It might have a more complete/updated version of Gparted and related tools. I've used it to resize Win 7 before, with success.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/index.php

By the way, what will the Ubuntu want to format my drive to?
    I believe the default file system in 12.04 is ext4, the latest stable version of the ext file system types. but you will probably have other choices (ext3, btrfs, etc.).

Edit: wait a minute, how can you shrink your Win 7 partition to 1 MiB and still retain all your data on it?
    Last edited by atreyu; 08-01-2012 at 12:55 AM. Reason: reality check

Just Joined!
    I thank you all for your help. I had decided on ArtistX, but then I tried Linux Mint 13 (Cinnamon) and I love it. Only urk I have is that popup notifications show up with half of the window off the edge of the screen. Anyone know how to fix that?
    -funk7997

Just Joined!
    Hi, I run various distros as VMs and alter the specs to see how they perform. I've found Lubuntu 12-04 and Debian Wheezy work well on low specs. Wheezy has proven to be more stable and run more smoothly than Squeeze in the VM.
    With Lubuntu, I install Thunar file manager and X-terminal to replace Lubuntu's pcman file manager and terminal. I do not like unity at all so far and usually completely remove the standard ubuntu vms after trying them. Debian also uses similar commands to the various ubuntu flavours, so trying it should not create too many hiccups.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3