Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Hi everyone, I recently bought a Motion Computing LE1700 Slate computer. It didn't come with an OS, so I installed Windows 7 Pro. Unfortunately, the tablets low specs cause it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Best Linux Distro for Slate Computer

Hi everyone,
    I recently bought a Motion Computing LE1700 Slate computer. It didn't come with an OS, so I installed Windows 7 Pro. Unfortunately, the tablets low specs cause it to constantly freeze up and crash. I want to install Linux on it since I have had relatively good results with it on low-spec computers. Does anyone now the best distro for my situation? I have tried out ArtistX and it doesn't run the best, but it's better then Windows. The biggest problem is that it needs to support the digitizer screen out of the box. ArtistX does include it, but it's a bit buggy. Here are the specs of the slate:

- Intel Centrino Core SOLO 1.2GHz Processor

- 2 GB Memory

- 80B Hard Drive

- 12" View XGA Display

I think it's the processor that slows everything down. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    -funk7997

Welcome to LinuxForums!

You might have some luck using one of the *buntu flavors. Perhaps Lubuntu or Xubuntu.
    I'm not entirely sure, though, since I'm not familiar with the hardware of that device.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Trusted Penguin
    If you are worried about resources being your problem, you can check out the light-weight Linux distros, there is a good list of them here:

http://www.tuxradar.com/content/what...t-linux-distro

but i don't think that is your problem. or rather, I think that was your problem with Windows 7. Try one of the "full-on" popular Linux distros first (Fedora, Ubuntu, Mint, etc) - just be sure to use the Live CD/DVD, so you can "try before you buy". You can always go back to one of the light-weight Linux distros later, if you think that is necessary.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I'd like to stick with Ubuntu based distros purely for its Software Center. I don't like the Unity interface, but I can live with it if I have to. I believe that ArtistX is based on Ubuntu, and it contains tons of software and doesn't use Unity. Normal Ubuntu 12.04 doesn't have pen drivers installed and I don't know where to get them as Linux isn't supported by Motion Computing. I do know that its a Wacom Digitizer. Anyone know where to find those? Another thing is that my HDD only spins at 4200rpm. I know that is less then the standard 5400. Could that cause problems with speed?
    -funk7997

Quote Originally Posted by funk7997 View Post
    Another thing is that my HDD only spins at 4200rpm. I know that is less then the standard 5400. Could that cause problems with speed?
    It will have an impact on read/write speeds. And it may cause some small delays in opening certain applications. Once you have the programs open and running, however, you should be good to go as the application will be running in RAM.

As far as the drivers are concerned, I found a few links that should be of help:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...uxwacom_driver
    Drivers | Wacom Americas
    SourceForge.net: Downloads - linuxwacom

If you can get a distro running in some capacity, then we'll be able to get more detailed information concerning your hardware. That would lead to more specific leads on needed drivers.

If possible, go with atreyu's suggestion of a Live boot via USB or SD card.
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

I put lubuntu 10.04 on a Fujitsu tablet with 1.1 mhz cpu, so you should be able to do that on yours. Mine is a convertible, with attached keyboard and built in dvd/cd, so you may need to plug in an usb keyboard and dvd reader for installation.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by funk7997 View Post
    I'd like to stick with Ubuntu based distros purely for its Software Center. I don't like the Unity interface, but I can live with it if I have to. I believe that ArtistX is based on Ubuntu, and it contains tons of software and doesn't use Unity.
    You can check out Linux Mint, then. It is based on Debian/Ubuntu and sports the Cinnamon desktop, which is a GNOME2-looking alternative to Unity.
    Another thing is that my HDD only spins at 4200rpm. I know that is less then the standard 5400. Could that cause problems with speed?
    yikes, that is slow. as cheap as spinning disk hard drives are, that is definitely a component you ought to consider upgrading. At that speed it is probably quite old, anyway.

Edit: my bad, you just bought it - I assumed a 4200 RPM drive would *have* to be old!
    Last edited by atreyu; 07-30-2012 at 11:28 AM. Reason: not so old

Just Joined!
    my bad, you just bought it - I assumed a 4200 RPM drive would *have* to be old!
    Well it is actually. I just bought it off of eBay. I'm not sure exactly how old it is, but it has Windows Vista Business COA so it can't be older then 5 years. The problem with replacing the hard drive is that it's a 1.8" ZIF connection hard drive. They cost more to replace than SATA hard drives and are hard to find in capacities higher than 100GB. I haven't even found one that spins faster than 4200RPM yet. I'll probably put in an SSD eventually, as I've found some of those. Kinda pricey though.

Concerning the drivers, I don't know how to install tar.bz2 files. How do I do that on a Ubuntu based distro?

Concerning Live booting distros, I've been doing that with a USB key with good results. I don't have access to a USB Keyboard at the moment, but I have a usb mouse that I use sometimes. Does Ubuntu have an on screen keyboard that I could use with a mouse to install the drivers? I know that ArtistX had one called OnBoard.
    -funk7997

Installing tar.bz2: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...tml#post344054
    You may need a few other components first.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essentials
    If there is anything else, I'm sure someone will mention it.

As for the on-screen KB on Ubuntu, I can't say for certain.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Just Joined!
    I run Ubuntu 11.10 on my LE 1700, 12.04 locked up on both upgrade and clean install, probably graphics kernel issue.

I haven't spent the terminal time to sort it out yet because 11.10 runs so well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast