Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello, I am planning to have a small system as a always-on media server at home.. What I am planning to do is have a linux distro on a old ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

linux os off USB or HDD ?

hello,
    I am planning to have a small system as a always-on media server at home..
    What I am planning to do is have a linux distro on a old netbook, install a few programms and scripts that will serve uPNP media, run transmission for torrents and use one of the USB ports for a HDD for NAS and run a proxy server and SSH tunnel.

So the question I have is.. is it better to install the OS on flash drive and use the built in HDD as a NAS drive? the reason i am asking is.. if the server is going to be always on.. wouldnt this kill my built in HDD? With transmission serving and downloading and checking, SSH taking in traffic, uPNP inotifying... the HDD would be constantly spinning right?

So insted if I boot the system from a flash and keep a copy of the flash.. worse case, when the flash dies.. I just use a new one.. 4-8GB flash drives are pretty cheap these days...

Any suggestions? is this even possible? Do I need to not worry about my built in HDD constantly spinning?

Trusted Penguin
    No, it won't kill your drive. It takes a lot to wear out a drive in the way you describe. Your idea is not a bad one (IMO), but I think it will ultimately be the storage device holding your media that will be getting the biggest work-out, whether that is a NAS drive, or whatever.

Personally, I'm always a bit leery of putting my system drive on a USB stick (mainly b/c they can be flaky - which may explain those great prices!). i'd rather stick my boot OS on a CompactFlash drive (seen as a regular hard drive, e.g. sda), and use other bigger disks as storage. just a thought.

Just Joined!
    Thank you for the reply.
    Just a quick follow up question, why did you suggest cf/sd over usb flash....isn't the inside same with just interface being different?
    Our did you mean to buy a good cf instead of a cheap USB stick?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by p4145 View Post
    Thank you for the reply.
    Just a quick follow up question, why did you suggest cf/sd over usb flash....isn't the inside same with just interface being different?
    Our did you mean to buy a good cf instead of a cheap USB stick?
    a fair question - i should have supplied that in the first place.

• The CF interface has 40 or 44 pins or something that hold it in place, vs the infamous USB slot interface.

• The CF is usually internal, and the USB disk is usually external, which is prone to be accidentally disconnected.

• You can certainly get a cheap CF card and you can get expensive USB thumb drives, but I think that CF cards are more reliable by design, at least the ones designed to work with digital cameras. Plus, I'd get a Sandisk, based upon reputation and past experience, which is a little more, but is worth the piece of mind.