Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm using Maya Mint on a Toshiba a355-s6879. It's got the "Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU T5800 * 2.00GHz × 2" & the Intel GMA 4500MHD, or as seen in System ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Hot laptop. Can the fan be fixed 100%, while cpu freq varies normally?

I'm using Maya Mint on a Toshiba a355-s6879. It's got the "Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU T5800 * 2.00GHz × 2" & the Intel GMA 4500MHD, or as seen in System Details, "Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset x86/MMX/SSE2".
    The default 'governor' (iirc) appears to be working normally. It's just that this laptop gets very hot. I did open it, and found no blockage.
    So, it'd be great if the governance thingy could be customized so that the fan was always 100%, or maybe 50-100, but without the "performance" option of 100% cpu freq.
    Is this possible?

Don't know of a way to take your fan to 100% all the time. You might consider upgrading to an SSD, as mechanical hard drives are a major source of heat in laptops, next to the processor itself.

Those look nice. Thanks for the tip. Definately something to consider.
    I opened up my laptop again, thinking I might have forgotten to plug in the fan, as it didn't appear to be moving, and found I overlooked something. Silly me. This should be better now.
    Still, if someone happens along with a method of tricking the fan speed seperate of the cpu freq, I may not be the only one interested in hearing it.