Find the answer to your Linux question:
So I have an old 2GB Surf because I'm an early adapter and the installed distro was quick but pretty much useless. Experimented with different configurations and software. Booting from ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Asus eeePC 2GB Surf Re-Do with new Linux OS What Works Best

So I have an old 2GB Surf because I'm an early adapter and the installed distro was quick but pretty much useless. Experimented with different configurations and software.

Booting from USB and SD card was slow. Only found Leeenux, Siltaz, and Wary Puppeee fit on 2GB SSD. Leenux was hard to manage and not all that swift. Siltaz looked good and was quick but hard to manage. Also tried Android but problems with shut down and some other issues sadly ended that quest. The winner was Wary Puppy. Installer works fairly well, best of the bunch (not as good as full Ubuntu) but did the job.

Wary Puppeee boots slower than original distro but OK and has SeaMonkey as browser and you can install Flash. Although the CPU and Graphics make video jumpy, it still gives you a flavor and there are other flash apps like forms that I don't want to lose. Wary pupeee is user kind, hesitate to say friendly but things are somewhat intuitive.

So the old eeePC surf will probably go back in the drawer but it is good for a back up and fun to see what a minimal computer will do.

You might try tinycore or tinyme and see if they work for you.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Linux Guru
    If I had that surf. I would run Linux off of a class 10 external sd card and install the Linux of my choice onto that. Then use the internal 2 gig ssd drive as fat32 or ext2 storage partition for things I would like to save apart from the external sd drive.

Like Puppy. I would do a frugal install to the sd card. Then copy over the personal save file over to the internal ssd card so I would have a backup in case I corrupt the personal save file on external sd card. Then just delete the one on sd running puppy pfix=ram at boot. Copy over the saved one on ssd drive. Reboot. Problem fixed.

Class 4 and class 6 sd cards have slower write speeds than class 10. So the faster the sd card. The better Linux experience.

Something I did ages ago for fun just to see how it would work out for me.

Yet Another Technology Site: Install AntiX 8.2 Final on External Flash Drive

Edit: I'd probably bump up the ram also if I had it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close