Find the answer to your Linux question:
Let me start of with the specs for this POS: Gateway Support - MX3228 Notebook Specifications I have upgraded to 1gb of RAM Ok, here is the issue. I can't ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Angry Gateway MX3228 - My Kingdom for an OS

Let me start of with the specs for this POS: Gateway Support - MX3228 Notebook Specifications
    I have upgraded to 1gb of RAM

Ok, here is the issue. I can't get a workable OS on this POS! I have tried PCLinuxOS (video problems), Fedora (slower then an Intel 8086), Mint (could not install the programs I wanted), Ubuntu (failed to boot), Slax (video again), Suse (What do you know, Video problems) and lastly PC-BSD (was abso-freaking-lootly wonderful except for wifi not working).

So now I got this laptop that, unless someone here could PLEASE intervene, will be getting a XP install

Please, somebody help me out here. I have to run Win7 already on my gaming rig. I really don't want to run XP on my laptop. Any suggestions for distros that will work on this POS?

As a though, have a look at SilTaz, my mother-in-law uses it.

Can you give a hint as to the programs you want? What version of MINT did you try? There are a few flavours.

Quote Originally Posted by Sector11 View Post
    As a though, have a look at SilTaz, my mother-in-law uses it.

Can you give a hint as to the programs you want? What version of MINT did you try? There are a few flavours.

Well, I feel like a moron now. I was so peeved at my inability to get this POS to work that I did not make a very coherent post. My apologies. You're right, I need to give some specifics.

Distros I have tried:
    Mint: 13 xfce 32bit
    PCLinuxOS: LXDE 2012.06
    Fedora: 17 LXDE Spin 32bit
    Ubuntu: Lubuntu 12.10 32bit
    SilTaz (not slax as I originally typed. sorry): 4.0
    OpenSuse: 12.2 KDE 32bit*
    PC-BSD: 9 Isotope Edition 32bit (LXDE installed)**

Programs:
    I prefer to use Chromium web browser. On Mint and SilTaz I have issues installing it. Another software is Libre office. you would think this would be easy as many distros come with it default but I was having issues with Mint AND pclinuxos updating to a recent version. I also have a Win7 machine on the network I regularly use to grab files I need for various projects. All distros with the exception of PClinuxOS and PCBSD couldn't access these network folders from their default file browsers without installing another SMB Browser (SliTaz could not even do that).

I am not dead set on specific programs per say, I just want something that works for what I want. I do specifically want Libre, Comix and Chromium but I am flexible on the rest.
    I would like the preform the following on the laptop:
    Web Browsing (duh)
    Remote Networking (VNC, SMB, FTP, SSH, etc)
    Reading (PDF, eBook, Comics)
    File Editing (doc, xls, etc)
    Programming (I have yet to find a good alternative for Notepad++ in linux but I am looking!)

HARDWARE COMPATIBILITY NOTICE: This laptop appears to have issues with its power save BIOS. On two distros (PCLinuxOS and Mint) the back-light on the screen cut out completely on boot causing all sorts of problems. On Mint the screen would kick back on after boot if left for a while. Other distros (Suse, Mint, SilTaz) can not detect my monitor and use a 640x480 resolution. When I switch to a 720x480 (which is supposed to be native for that monitor) it goes bonkers (like the monitor does not support that res) and I end up having to restart. No issues with Fedora with the exception that it ran very slowly. PCBSD ran beautifully and would be my choice if not for the incompatibility with my onboard wifi.

I am partial to RedHat variants like PCLinuxOS and Fedora, but beggars can't be choosers. I thank everyone for dealing with my mess of a post up there. I am quite frustrated with this laptop at this point and I am not thinking straight. Please let me know any other information needed to make a suggestion.

*Opensuse, for the short time it was installed, ran like a tortoise across molasses. We can skip that one for the time being
    **If you have not already tried PCBSD, TRY IT! It is an awesome OS. I currently use the 64bit KDE version on my main rig. If not for the wifi card issue I would be using this on the laptop. This is my first choice for a power OS

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    How abour: CrunchBang, it is a LiveDVD or USD for Waldorf (testing).

I am currently running VSIDO (a script by VastOne) that is Debian SID - Defaults to Xfce4 but has an OpenBox session that I have defaulted to. It is loosely based on CrunchBang. VastOne recently put wireless into his Debian Netinstal Sid - Yet Another How To. Take a look. I've been running it for 7 months with only one hiccup; a fingers on keyboard error! I've seen where others with spec's similar to your are running it.

Wish you luck.

CrunchBang sounds (and looks, based on the website) very familure. Will attempt an install tonight and see how it works out. Thanks.

I am sorry to report that CrunchBang also has video problems. It sets the display at 1600x1024 with only the top left quarter of the desktop showing When I set it to the correct res it just goes nuts and wont accept it

Bummer ... I just did some Googling and saw one post by you at PC-BSD. Than I see this:

maniacmusician
    May 24th, 2007, 12:38 PM
    i asked the same question a while ago and heard that gateways are not too good for Linux.

Ideal linux-friendly vendors are Lenovo, System76 (of course), Dell, and I believe the fujitsu computers are linux-friendly as well.
    and can't help but think XP might be the only option.

Never heard of System76
    https://www.system76.com/laptops/model/bonx6
    That is one sexy laptop. I am imagining that with PCBSD. Chills man

May end up just throwing XP on this one and selling it. If anyone is interested in a XP laptop (for their kids maybe?) let me know. Gonna see how much these POS's go for second hand

Thanks for the help Sector.

Didn't help much, but trying is help in one form.
    Good luck!