Find the answer to your Linux question:
my little brother has a hp mini and i'm wondering witch one would be the best and will not make the computer hot? right now he's using ubuntu 12.04. but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question whats the best linux for a hp mini? (WITH INTERNET PROBLEMS)

my little brother has a hp mini and i'm wondering witch one would be the best and will not make the computer hot? right now he's using ubuntu 12.04. but it makes computer hot and it acts up after while. and some linux's internet does not work on his even when u plug in the ethernet. only way is if that linux has a place to activate the driver. and some don't. so let me no. thankyou

Just Joined!
    I don't know about the mini but I have seen HP machines that seem to rely on Windoze to run the fans (this is ordinarily a BIOS function).

I have seen this problem while running memtest86. And I'm sure Linux won't expect to have to do this job, either.

I suggest you make sure you have the very latest BIOS from HP. (Which might not help, but won't hurt.)

You may need to research this further.

Does anyone else have information about this?

Lightbulb ok...

i'll do research on it thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Lots of HP Mini model numbers out there? Hard to say anything till more detail is given.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by polypagan View Post
    I don't know about the mini but I have seen HP machines that seem to rely on Windoze to run the fans (this is ordinarily a BIOS function).

I have seen this problem while running memtest86. And I'm sure Linux won't expect to have to do this job, either.

I suggest you make sure you have the very latest BIOS from HP. (Which might not help, but won't hurt.)

You may need to research this further.

Does anyone else have information about this?
    ============
    Using a similar machine , an eeePC901 from Asus ,it happily runs Lubuntu 10.04 (April 2010)
    Lubuntu is Ubuntu but with the light LXDE desktop.
    I consider it the best distro for migration from Windoze to Linux ,also from an appearance point of view.
    I even run Lubuntu 64 bit on a modern desktop machine.

Just Joined!
    google-ing "hp mini overheating" results in pages of hits, many of them pretty lame, many saying the problem is dirt and dust inside the unit and explaining how to clean it out (insufficient attention to grounding & static care, IMHO.) None (that I read) supported my BIOS theory. Maybe I'm full of it, too.

Just Joined!
    Have you tried installing TLP? That may help a little with the overheating problem.

As for a decent distro for a mini/netbook kind of machine: I like Peppermint on my Acer Aspire One D270. Works like a charm!

Just Joined!
    Hey will you please tell me which HP mini model you are using. Becouse there are many models.
    If you are the new user then you should start with the old version becouse it is easy to learn.

Just Joined!
    What you have seen in a BIOS, monitoring parameters?