Find the answer to your Linux question:
To cut a long story short, I got a netbook with Windows XP, dropped it, and now it doesn't work. I'm thinking of installing Ubuntu to it instead and seeing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Should I install Ubuntu to my old netbook?

To cut a long story short, I got a netbook with Windows XP, dropped it, and now it doesn't work. I'm thinking of installing Ubuntu to it instead and seeing if that will work, but I'm not sure if it will actually work. I'm not even sure if Ubuntu is the best choice of Linux-based operating systems to use! Please help, and suggest more effective alternatives to Ubuntu if nessecarry and if you need more details on my broken netbook then let me know please. And please tell me if I've gotten any of the technical terminology wrong too! Thanks!

hi and welcome

my guess is the hardware of this netbook is damaged.
    A new operating system wont help.

As this netbook is presumably old, you cannot claim warranty and repair probably wont make sense financially.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Irithori View Post
    hi and welcome

my guess is the hardware of this netbook is damaged.
    A new operating system wont help.

As this netbook is presumably old, you cannot claim warranty and repair probably wont make sense financially.
    Thanks for your help I've spoken to my friend who thinks i should sell it for spare parts on ebay and then buy a really cheap laptop and put ubuntu on that, or is it a better idea to build my own?

Just Joined!
    Not to be a prick but why would you even ask this? Why wouldn't you test the computer to make sure it isn't hardware first? Why would installing a new OS make it work? If you truly had a question about OS differences or suggestions, why wouldn't you just post that question? You dropped a computer and it doesn't work so you are wondering if by installing Ubuntu would make a difference?

I'm sure I'll get flamed but this is what's wrong with people trying to get actual, precise advice. You ask this and when someone takes time to reply, it could possibly take them away from the board(s) for a while because they get tired of "fielding" these questions. As a result, the rest of us suffer.

As I said previously, I'm not trying to be a prick but after needing help, seeking it here, thinking I would scroll through 15 pages of posts to hopefully do my part and help fellow newbies, I came across this. I couldn't help but think that several people that could have provided help were detoured by posts like this and might actually look at posts a little less because they get fed up. I'm not an expert but am trying to help and if you ask this question, I would suggest you learn more computing common sense before even proposing a question like this...

Again, I'm sorry but common sense goes a long way...

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by metropoli10 View Post
    Not to be a prick but why would you even ask this? Why wouldn't you test the computer to make sure it isn't hardware first? Why would installing a new OS make it work? If you truly had a question about OS differences or suggestions, why wouldn't you just post that question? You dropped a computer and it doesn't work so you are wondering if by installing Ubuntu would make a difference?

I'm sure I'll get flamed but this is what's wrong with people trying to get actual, precise advice. You ask this and when someone takes time to reply, it could possibly take them away from the board(s) for a while because they get tired of "fielding" these questions. As a result, the rest of us suffer.

As I said previously, I'm not trying to be a prick but after needing help, seeking it here, thinking I would scroll through 15 pages of posts to hopefully do my part and help fellow newbies, I came across this. I couldn't help but think that several people that could have provided help were detoured by posts like this and might actually look at posts a little less because they get fed up. I'm not an expert but am trying to help and if you ask this question, I would suggest you learn more computing common sense before even proposing a question like this...

Again, I'm sorry but common sense goes a long way...
    Oh. Sorry....