Find the answer to your Linux question:
Don't know if this is the right spot or not, it did say "request help" and I need "help" finding a part so I guess I'm in the right place. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Need a small part for my HP NC8230.

Don't know if this is the right spot or not, it did say "request help" and I need "help" finding a part so I guess I'm in the right place. Anyhoo, my NC8230 needs a Primary Battery Release Latch. That's the battery latch that'll be on the right of the laptop when it's flipped over with the batter at the 12 O'Clock position(i.e. away from you) and that sticks into the batter in order to help hold it into place. I've called a few local shops, looked for it online and just can't find one. I hope that maybe someone out there may either have a junk NC8230 sitting around that they could take the part off of or have a local store that sells older, used laptop parts and they could let me know where and who it was so I could contact them.
    I really love this old laptop and I'd like to get it back to being 100% and that's the only part I need to do that. Anyway, thanks in advance for any help ya'll can give.

Hi and welcome

There is a HP service providing original parts.
    Your NC8230 is listed, but there are a lot of submodels.
    I would start searching there if that battery latch is available.
    HP PartSurfer

Other than that, maybe ebay has a broken or working NC8230.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

If you have something like this in Tenn. or have a online friend in San Francisco who can do the footwork.

The Weird Stuff Warehouse is where old tech goes to retire | Ars Technica

Maybe, just maybe. You can email the weird warehouse and get the part through the mail but I'll be damned if I know it is possible.

Edit: after reading ithoris post

Buy it now.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I was actually thinking that I just might have to buy an old, stripped down NC8230 for $20 bucks off of E-Bay or somewhere and use it for parts. Might be cheaper in the long run then spending $5 for the part and $10 for shipping. LOL. Thanks for the links guys, I'll check them out.

Buying a parts computer off e-bay might be the way to go, plus looking through resale shops, thrift stores, and pawn shops.
    Registered Linux user #526930

I saw a couple decent deals on stripped down nc8230's over at EBay so I'm just going to keep my eyes open for a deal on one. That way I'll have a few other spare parts too.