Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I've been trying to sell or trade an air rifle I have so I can get another laptop. A guy over at an air rifle forum where I hang out ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Need a little info about a couple Dell Inspiron laptops.

I've been trying to sell or trade an air rifle I have so I can get another laptop.
    A guy over at an air rifle forum where I hang out has made me an offer of a trade for one of two Dell Inspiron laptops that he has.
    The 1st is a 5100 and the 2nd is a 1520 w/web cam. I've ask for more info as to processor and it's speed, amount of RAM, Hard Drive, screen size, ext. but I wonder if anyone here can tell me which would be the newer of the two, which would be the better of the two and which would most likely run Linux better.
    I like the idea of getting a web cam since my wife's laptop has one so we could keep in touch by Skype(yep, know all about the backdoor bug, won't be doing anything but talking,LOL) when she travels to AZ. for vacations and such.
    Anyway, any info that you guys can provide will be appreciated. Thanks.

Dell 5100
    Dell 1520
    After taking a quick glance at them... I'd go for the 1520. While not a high-end machine, it looks to be quite capable.
    The 5100, however, would make for a superb doorstop or paper-weight!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Ditto on the 5100, I found this on Wiki:
    "In 2003, Dell released several lines of Inspiron notebooks which had cooling problems, causing them to overheat and damage the video card and motherboard, or to shut down automatically. Overheating in Inspiron systems is mainly caused by performance-consuming tasks and software. This problem was determined to be due to the design of the air-flow from the bottom of the system. Affected models include the Dell Inspiron 1100, 1150, 5100 and 5150."
    So it looks like they had problems. The 1520, on the other hand, is from around 2007(about the same year as my wife's HP/Compaq CQ57) and has the Core-Duo processor and either 667MHz or 800MHz RAM and you can run up to 4GB. It totally beats my ol' HP NC8230(which I really love by the way) so that'd be the one to go with.
    Thanks for the reply, keep em' coming on the 1520 if anyone has anything else to say about it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    5100=http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2128700

Hard to say until the guy gives you the bios specs like ram and cpu, screw the hard drive size.

the 1520 sounds like the better deal to me but I would want a bios screen readout also as far as ram, and processor.
    TuxMobil: Linux Laptop & Notebook Installation Guides: DELL

Dell Inspiron 1520 [Linux Laptop Wiki]

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dell_Inspiron_1520

New Batteries can be bought on ebay. Both will run Linux OK, even the Broadcom Com wireless, which can be a pain in the butt for some.

He just sent me a PM and told me the 1520 has 2GB of RAM, he'll put a 250GB HHD in it(currently has an 80GB HHD) and it's a SATA HHD which is nice and it has the AMD Mobile 3600+ processor at 2.00GHz which isn't too bad since I'm runing Linux after all.

P.S.
    Just looked up the AMD CPU and it looks pretty decent. I'd post the URL to the info I've found but I don't have enough posts yet.

Linux Guru
    Trade the air rifle then. The only one I won't give up is the Benjamin

Crossman or Daisy would be good to go.

This is a Benjamin Trail NP, 22cal, upgraded the scope to a Leapers UGT 4x32AO Mil-Dot and it has over 2000 pellets that'll go with it. I was asking $225 shipped, figure this would be a fairly close deal. Shipping will be about $25 for me, no idea what it'll cost him to ship the laptop, maybe $15. I think it'd be a decent deal since I really don't get out and shoot anymore and I can always pick up another air rifle at a later date when I find a job.

Linux Guru
    As long as it works for you. That is all that matters in a barter. I do it all the time with my labour on bikes.

Looks like he and I got a deal worked out that's good for both of us. It'll be nice getting another laptop and I can keep my HP NC8230 as a back up or maybe trade it for a smaller one or sell it and just buy a smaller one. I'll have to wait and see how the 1520 works out first. I've really grown attached to this ol' NC8230, it's a tank of a laptop and it runs Ubuntu 12.04LTS like a champ. Thanks for all the help guys, I think I've found a new hang out for talking Linux.

If you have trouble getting the wireless to work, give a shout out on the forum here. Ubuntu was easy peasy to get the Broadcom working on my old Dell Latitude, other distos weren't so easy, but it depends on the exact model sometimes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast