Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello I am new to this forum and I really need your help! This is not your typical Linux query but I really need help from someone with more Linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Recovery Partition Access / Dual Boot Linux & Windows

Hello
    I am new to this forum and I really need your help! This is not your typical Linux query but I really need help from someone with more Linux experience than I have. I hope that someone will find this problem interestingly enough to help me out or at least take pity on me. My first couple attempts at loading Ubuntu on a two drive notebook ended badly. The Ubuntu install overwrote the Bootmgr file and left Windows in operable. I was trying load Ubuntu so that I could get back to learning Linux. I need to get proficient in Linux and in Windows for some upcoming certification exams. This issue just got even more complicated due to hardware problem with my new Notebook, see description below.

Background - I recently purchased a Toshiba Notebook (NB)and from day one there were problems. The biggest of which was a defective HDD. After spending a lost of time with their Tech support, I realized I was going to have to diagnose he root cause of this problem myself. They were absolutely no help, at all. When I finally confirmed that it was the HDD that was causing the problem and not the Motherboard or the OS I contacted them to arrange to have the unit returned for Warranty Service and then they advised that I would have to pay for the round trip shipping, because they do not pay for it as part of their Warranty Service. I have never had an manufacturer that did not pay for shipping on warranty issues, never. I have only had the NB for about six week, to long to return it to the store. That being said, the HDD has now deteriorated to the point that I need to move everything over to a new HDD. The issue in front of me now is being able to access the "Recovery Partition" on the HDD to that I reinstall Windows. Since Windows 8 (64) came with the NB, otherwise I will have to either pay to have the unit returned to Toshiba for a new HDD and OS and I really hate to pay them any more than I already have.

The issue is, I need to figure out a way to access the OS in the "Recovery Partition" on my Notebooks HDD, so that I can reinstall the OS on to a new HDD and there is not apparent way to access that partition from within Windows 8. What I need to be able to due is access it from a non-windows OS, then copy the OS Setup from that Recovery Partition and then copy it to a new HD and execute the System Install.

I am looking for any help possible! Thank you n advance for your help and consideration!!!

Sincerely,
    Doug

The issue is, I need to figure out a way to access the OS in the "Recovery Partition" on my Notebooks HDD, so that I can reinstall the OS on to a new HDD and there is not apparent way to access that partition from within Windows 8. What I need to be able to due is access it from a non-windows OS, then copy the OS Setup from that Recovery Partition and then copy it to a new HD and execute the System Install.
    I think the issue should be I need to clone the bad hardrive to the new hard drive. Insert new hard drive into the notebook.
    Then boot the recovery partition with the new hard drive in the notebook. At least that is how I would go about it.
    I would buy a exact same size hard drive or a bigger drive as the one I am replacing. Use a usb to hard drive external adapter to be the adaptive hardware to clone one drive to the other. How big of a drive are we talking here?

Use the dd command or clonezilla to
    make a byte for byte image of one drive to the other.

I hope rubberman sees this thread as I have only done this with a 8gig ssd install of Windows XP on a EEEPC 701 to a external 8Gig SD with PUDD in Puppy Linuxwhich is a gui version of dd. After I was done. I could insert the sd card. Pick it as first boot. Windows XP would then run and boot off that card. After some time. I needed the card for something else and I decided to wipe XP off of it because XP ran on that 701 like cold thick syrup. It is a full time AntiX netbook now.

Anyhows. That would be how I would approach this problem. The drive might be trash but the data might be good on that original Toshiba hard drive.

Boot a live pendrive
    , (use Windows to make it), and as root give a
    Code:
    blkid
    and
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    readout from terminal which will give some identifiers of internal hard drive partitions and their names in Linux. Then we can check those partitions with the
    Code:
    df
    command to see what is intact on them.

I am just a Scooter Tramp that just happens to know how to run Linux so don't expect too much from me. I am good on pity. Bad on skill set.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    I think the issue should be I need to clone the bad hardrive to the new hard drive. Insert new hard drive into the notebook.
    Then boot the recovery partition with the new hard drive in the notebook. At least that is how I would go about it.
    I would buy a exact same size hard drive or a bigger drive as the one I am replacing. Use a usb to hard drive external adapter to be the adaptive hardware to clone one drive to the other. How big of a drive are we talking here?

Use the dd command or to make a byte for byte image of one drive to the other.

I hope rubberman sees this thread as I have only done this with a 8gig ssd install of Windows XP on a EEEPC 701 to a external 8Gig SD with PUDD in Puppy Linuxwhich is a gui version of dd. After I was done. I could insert the sd card. Pick it as first boot. Windows XP would then run and boot off that card. After some time. I needed the card for something else and I decided to wipe XP off of it because XP ran on that 701 like cold thick syrup. It is a full time AntiX netbook now.

Anyhows. That would be how I would approach this problem. The drive might be trash but the data might be good on that original Toshiba hard drive.

Boot a live pendrive, (use Windows to make it), and as root give a
    Code:
    blkid
    and
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    readout from terminal which will give some identifiers of internal hard drive partitions and their names in Linux. Then we can check those partitions with the
    Code:
    df
    command to see what is intact on them.

I am just a Scooter Tramp that just happens to know how to run Linux so don't expect too much from me. I am good on pity. Bad on skill set.
    Hi!

Thank you for your prompt response! I have already tried Cloning and the issue now is that the OS copy on the replacement HDD won't allow me to access the recovery drive to replace the OS. My guess is that the installed OS was further degraded by the "bad' HDD or possibly thru the cloning process. What I would like to do is to access the "Recovery" partition in a way that I can inspect its contents, copy them to a new HDD or Blu-Ray disc if they appear to be intact and then execute the new OS install from there. Failing that I am faced with the manufacturer's solution or in buying a new OS copy, either of which grinds me the wrong way. I long for the days when the OS was shipped along with the computer on CDROM or DVD, this "new" approach really sucks!!!

Best Regards,
    Doug

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    So you can't boot the installed windows, correct?
    You don't have a windows recovery disk or it doesn't work, correct?
    You never indicate whether you can boot the installed Ubuntu. Can you? If so, boot it and run the commands suggested above and post the output. If you can't boot the installed Ubuntu, boot the Live CD and run the commands and post them here.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by DougS View Post
    Hello
    Background - I recently purchased a Toshiba Notebook (NB)and from day one there were problems. The biggest of which was a defective HDD. After spending a lost of time with their Tech support, I realized I was going to have to diagnose he root cause of this problem myself. They were absolutely no help, at all. When I finally confirmed that it was the HDD that was causing the problem and not the Motherboard or the OS I contacted them to arrange to have the unit returned for Warranty Service and then they advised that I would have to pay for the round trip shipping, because they do not pay for it as part of their Warranty Service. I have never had an manufacturer that did not pay for shipping on warranty issues, never. I have only had the NB for about six week, to long to return it to the store. That being said, the HDD has now deteriorated to the point that I need to move everything over to a new HDD. The issue in front of me now is being able to access the "Recovery Partition" on the HDD to that I reinstall Windows. Since Windows 8 (64) came with the NB, otherwise I will have to either pay to have the unit returned to Toshiba for a new HDD and OS and I really hate to pay them any more than I already have.
    my God mate! just return it to the retailer! let them deal with the headache. I realize I'm responding a bit late but I'm estimating that you still ha e 6 months left on the warranty.