Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Ok, once I got a connection via wire I ran this "sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source" and once it ran it kicked me off of wired and went to wireless so ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Ok, once I got a connection via wire I ran this "sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source" and once it ran it kicked me off of wired and went to wireless so basically all I needed was a driver.
    Now that the WiFi "problem" is fixed we need to go back and address the single core AMD 64 "problem". I'd really like for my computer to use both cores of the processor. LOL

I just found this:
    AMD Sempron 64 3600+ Manila 2.0GHz Socket AM2 62W Single-Core Processor SDA3600CNBOX - Newegg.com
    I may only have a single core processor after all. Go Figure. But it IS 64bit.

Just Joined!
    64 bit and dual core are two separate things and you can have one without the other. However, if the sticker says "x2" then it should be dual core and the BIOS may just be buggy. Check the CPU load in system monitor, if you see two cores in the graph then it has two cores.

You could also try "cat /proc/cpuinfo" (I think that's the path, I'm writing from my memory here so it may be something similar instead) and see how many processors are listed. If you see more than one CPU core listed then it's a dual core.

Either method should work really but I prefer using command line tools which, unlike graphical tools, tell you everything in easy to read text.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Where would I find the CPU Load Sys Monitor in Ubuntu 12.04LTS?
    If it's the Semperon then it's only going to be a single core, 64bit processor which is cool, it doesn't take much to run Linux lighting fast anyway. Still, I would like to do a bit more research on it.

Ok, I ran "lscpu" and got this:

Architecture: x86_64
    CPU op-mode(s): 32-bit, 64-bit
    Byte Order: Little Endian
    CPU(s): 1
    On-line CPU(s) list: 0
    Thread(s) per core: 1
    Core(s) per socket: 1
    Socket(s): 1
    NUMA node(s): 1
    Vendor ID: AuthenticAMD
    CPU family: 15
    Model: 124
    Stepping: 2
    CPU MHz: 800.000
    BogoMIPS: 1596.05
    L1d cache: 64K
    L1i cache: 64K
    L2 cache: 256K
    NUMA node0 CPU(s): 0

So it does look like it's a single core after all.

Good to hear you got your wireless going.

Thanks, AND I figured out that I do only have a single core processor. I was kind of looking forward to a dual core but oh well, Linux runs just as good with a fast single core. At least it's a 64bit processor and I can load it up with 4GB of RAM at 667MHz if I want. That beats my older HP with a max of only 2GB of 533MHz RAM, LOL

I guess the main thing to learn from this thread is don't always believe what the sticker on your palm rest says. My Dell 1521 has a "AMD 64 Athlon X2" sticker but it's really a single core Semperon. Go Figure, guess Dell doesn't believe in Truth in Advertising. LOL.

RE: I mean if it's a single core then wouldn't it be a 32 bit processor? I'm confused.
    If the processor is AMD Turion 64x2 Mobile TL-58 at 1.9 MHz it is dual core, but it is originally developed for iPads and mobile devices and has CPU Mark 0.912 (rather slow).
    Open in the OS the System Monitor - Resources ... or whatever it is there with your distro, and see in the CPU History whether the lines are two (dual core) or one.
    If you are not pleased with the performance and if the processor is not soldered to the motherboard you may put any other AMD processor, socket S1, like for example AMD Phenom P650 Dual Core - CPU Mark 1.569 or a cheaper one with relatively good performance - AMD Athlon II P360 Dual-Core - CPU Mark 1.350.
    If the processor is soldered don't try to change it for you may damage the motherboard (becides any of the two processors)
    Use anti-static gloves to prevent static and oils when changing the processor. Put the old processor on the packing socket for you may decide to sell it as a second hand device (or keep it as a reserve).

Linux Guru
    I mean if it's a single core then wouldn't it be a 32 bit processor
    Code:
    $ grep pae /proc/cpuinfo
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc up pebs bts pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl cid cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm

That is off of my Emachine 3507 single core AMD Desktop that tuns AntiX 11 Base
    with Fluxbox, wbar, and LXpanel. Trashcan aquired Desktop computer (free).

lm flag means Long mode cpu - 64 bit CPU
    Real mode 16 bit CPU
    Protected Mode is 32-bit CPU

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast