Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
The single core Sempron 3600+ uses the same socket(AM2) as the dual core Athlon X2's so I guess if I wanted to I could swap it out for a dual ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

The single core Sempron 3600+ uses the same socket(AM2) as the dual core Athlon X2's so I guess if I wanted to I could swap it out for a dual core Athlon but why, I'm running Linux, not bloated Windows so I'm getting plenty of speed out of the 2.0GHz single core. Even as a single core it's still a 64 bit processor so it'll use a larger "word" then a 32 bit processor would and I also have dual channel memory so that helps to speed things up a little bit too.
    Now I'd like to move up from the 2GB of PC2-5300 to 4GB of PC2-5300. That should also help with speed a little bit. The devil is in the details,LOL

Go to Toms hardware guide and check their performance reviews of your cpu and the one you are thinking of replacing it with. Sometimes the difference in performance is minimal, and some times it can be significant. The caveat is that the ratings are on submitted systems, and depending on ram, mb, etc, your milage may vary, but it is a good indicator.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3