Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Just got the laptop in that I traded my air rifle for and it's not the 1520, it's the 1521, that's why it has an AMD processor. Sticker says "AMD ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Dell 1521 w/AMD 64 x2, dual core or not?

Just got the laptop in that I traded my air rifle for and it's not the 1520, it's the 1521, that's why it has an AMD processor. Sticker says "AMD 64 Athlon x2" but when I got into BIOS to check settings it's saying it's a "single core" processor. I thought the AMD 64's were suppose to be dual core, what gives? Is there some setting I'm going to have to tweak to enable the other core or is the dual core processor on a single core mother board so it reads as a single core? How does this affect weather it's a 32 bit or 64 bit processor? I mean if it's a single core then wouldn't it be a 32 bit processor? I'm confused.

OK, been doing a bit of looking around and it seems I need to enable the UCC or UUC or some such in my BIOS so it'll see the 2nd core. Wonder if I should do this before or after I install Ubuntu 12.04LTS 64bit?

Still not got this figured out. I installed Ubuntu 12.04LTS 64 bit and went back in after restart to check the BIOS and it's still saying it's a single core processor even though I set it to performance mode in the BIOS. Another thing, the WiFi isn't working even though I have the switch on the side set to "on". In the "network" area in Ubuntu it doesn't even show a wireless network even though I've also went into settings and set one up. I'm sure these are just simple tweaks but I really need some help here.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Did you go through the STEPS IN THIS THREAD ?

Post results here.

For computer specifications try

Code:
    lshw
    in terminal.

It's showing that I have a Broadcom Corp BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY [14e4:4315] (rev 01)
    So it IS showing a WiFi card available, and I've pushed the switch to the "On" position a number of times but don't get a WiFi light by the little emblem. Also, after I installed Ubuntu I checked BIOS again and it's still saying I have a single core processor.

See THIS ARTICLE for your wireless driver install.

Put the output of lshw on here.

Also post results of

Code:
    dmidecode

I can't even get on the interweb with a cable hooked into my modem. It's like the Broadcom card is there and the computer will see it but I can flip the switch to turn it on. I'll report back in a second.

Quote Originally Posted by slw210 View Post
    Also post results of

Code:
    dmidecode
    # dmidecode 2.11
    /dev/mem: Permission denied.
    using sudo dmidecode I got:
    too much stuff to type out here, LOL.
    What specifically would I be looking for in all that mess?

Ok, I went into my "network" settings and it for wired network it said "cable unplugged" so I wiggled the cable and it actually hooked into the network. I'm going to do an update to see if it'll get me some drivers that'll work. I'll report back.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast