Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was going to post this in my original thread but the Mods felt that since I'd switched to Ubuntu 12.04LTS that they'd mark it "resolved" and lock the thread ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Update on Screen Brightness with nc8230.

I was going to post this in my original thread but the Mods felt that since I'd switched to Ubuntu 12.04LTS that they'd mark it "resolved" and lock the thread so I'm simply going to start a new thread.
    Apparently there's 3 buttons on the nc8230 that control the brightness of the screen, a "down" button, an "up" button and then one that's for "backlight". The backlight button had the backlight turned all the way down. A simple press of that button brought the brightness level back to normal so it wasn't a software issue at all. Anyway, that's it, just wanted to share.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Thanks. It is helpful to share positive outcomes here as well as problems so others can benefit from your experience. What is the manufacturer of this device?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

HP/Compaq nc8230. It has three buttons controlled by the function button, one to dim the screen, one to brighten it and one is the backlight control. You can have it as bright as it'll go but if your backlight is turned down it'll look dim. It pays to get to know your computer.