Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm reading all over the Web people having troubles installing Linux in notebooks.. Me too, but I finally sort of got it.. 1/ Dban the hd.. 2/ Defeat the bios ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Re: solved "some troubles installing Ubuntu in notebooks"...

I'm reading all over the Web people having troubles installing Linux in notebooks.. Me too, but I finally sort of got it..

1/ Dban the hd..
    2/ Defeat the bios battery for a few minutes if you can.. Not an easy task.. It almost takes the skill of a surgeon..
    3/ Install the ISO.. (I still can't get Scientific Linux into a notebook, so I'm forced to use versions of Ubuntu 12's)..
    4/ Reboot, and immediately go to system settings, and click up "drivers search", and install or activate the suggested drivers.. Reboot, or not..?
    5/ Do updates again..
    6/ Change desktop handler settings in Compiz or Advanced.. Try gnome and different desktop handler defaults till you gets it.. Maybe "download-only" other desktop handlers right after first reboot, and have them held in archives...

If you have extra hard drives, use the crappy ones to run experiments and tests on, so you don't wreck what's on the good hd..
    (A just in case someone doesn't know: Do not switch hd's with the notebook powered-up)..

Be cautious and restraintive in installing a lot of synaptic stuff.. Be satisfied with the OS in its basic stable form.. Notebooks are super fussy and fragile.. Adding certain unessential third-party accessory linux programs can kill a notebook's OS only too fast, sending you right back to square one over and over again...

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    If the notebook came with Windows 8 pre-installed, then you have UEFI secure boot to blame for this problem. You need to go into the BIOS and either disable secure boot, or (alternatively) enable "legacy boot". Then you should be able to install Scientific Linux and other distributions. If it is an ARM CPU Windows 8 notebook/tablet, then you cannot disable secure boot and will have to install a secure-boot enabled Linux distribution, which RHEL/SL/CentOS are not...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!