Find the answer to your Linux question:
Someone gave me a Compaq Evo N410C Notebook with dock for free. Currently it has 512MB of RAM but it is upgradable to 1GB. I put Peppermint Ice Cream on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Lightbulb Linix For Compaq Evo N410C Notebook With Dock

Someone gave me a Compaq Evo N410C Notebook with dock for free. Currently it has 512MB of RAM but it is upgradable to 1GB. I put Peppermint Ice Cream on it last night and I wonder if I picked the right flavor of Linux for what I want to use it for. I want a small Linux OS that is easy to install emulators on. Possibly from Synaptic or some other distro packager. I do not have good luck installing Linux packages any other way. I just want to run retro gaming emulators (i.e. Sega Genesis, SNES, NES, etc...) plus put some other Linux games on it. I only want to use this for kicking back and relaxing. Once I get everything loaded, I don't really care if I have it connected to the Internet other than to occasionally dl more games.

I have a newer laptop running Win 7 64 bit that I use for my normal day to day stuff (email, bills, etc.).

Thank you
    Last edited by zunebuggy; 08-27-2013 at 06:18 PM.

Linux Guru
    Well, currently copying 10gigs of movies via pendrive through pcmcia usb 2.0 (whopping 980K a second) on a

Code:
    $ inxi -Fxz
    System:    Host: biker Kernel: 3.7.10-antix.3-486-smp i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.7.3) 
               Desktop: IceWM 1.3.7 Distro: antiX-13_386-full Luddite 01 June 2013
    Machine:   Mobo: IBM model: 2628TWU Bios: IBM version: KXET33WW (1.06 ) date: 09/05/2001
    CPU:       Single core Pentium III (Coppermine) (-UP-) cache: 256 KB flags: (pae sse) bmips: 1992.44 clocked at 1000.00 MHz 
    Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Rage Mobility P/M AGP 2x bus-ID: 01:00.0 
               X.Org: 1.12.4 drivers: ati (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)  Resolution: 1024x768@87.0hz 
               GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on softpipe GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.5 Direct Rendering: Yes
    Audio:     Card: Cirrus Logic CS 4614/22/24/30 [CrystalClear SoundFusion Audio Accelerator] 
               driver: snd_cs46xx bus-ID: 00:05.0 
               Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.7.10-antix.3-486-smp
    Network:   Card-1: 3Com 3c556B CardBus [Tornado] driver: 3c59x port: 1800 bus-ID: 00:03.0
               IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
               Card-2: Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI driver: rt61pci ver: 2.3.0 bus-ID: 06:00.0
               IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
    Drives:    HDD Total Size: 36.3GB (57.5% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: IC25N020ATCS04 size: 20.0GB 
               2: id: /dev/sdb model: Name n/a size: 16.3GB 
    Partition: ID: / size: 18G used: 9.4G (58%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 1.12GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
    Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 56.0C mobo: 46.0C 
               Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 0 
    Info:      Processes: 100 Uptime: 1:05 Memory: 236.9/500.7MB Runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 4.7.2 
               Client: Shell (bash 4.2.37) inxi: 1.9.14
    Got the browser open to reply so ram is up to 237MB on this IBM A22M 2001 Laptop.

If I wanna game.

Code:
    $ apt-cache policy dosbox
    dosbox:
      Installed: 0.74-3
      Candidate: 0.74-3
      Version table:
     *** 0.74-3 0
            500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ wheezy/main i386 Packages
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    Me showing something

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/cof...tml#post925657

Kinda funny you said

Once I get everything loaded, I don't really care if I have it connected to the Internet other than to occasionally dl more games.
    but you installed a cloud operating system like Peppermint. But to each their own. I guess you could install dosbox in peppermint through synaptic (look for it). Then go to DOSBox, an x86 emulator with DOS, make a folder in /home named games and download them to their.
    Then set default run action in peppermint to open the download as dosbox. Then game to your hearts content.

Just Joined!
    That is why I wondered if Peppermint was the best OS.

So from this it appears you are using anti-X on an older laptop and it is running pretty fast. What is the IceWM 1.3.7? My Linux experience has been older Ubuntu, Mint and Peppermint. All have had GUIs and work pretty much right out of the "box". I can generally find any emulators in the Synaptic Package Manager and just click to install. I have not had much experience or luck installing from Terminal and forget it if I have to build my own install from binaries. I should teach myself I guess. Does anti-X have a GUI? Is it easy to install? I find that if I install anything from the Terminal command line, somewhere in the process the install will fail. Usually it is a dependency issue.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Does anti-X have a GUI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kCo...8DDQkBJ5YSfVrt

err yeah. Look in screenshots thread in coffee lounge to see mine.

Just Joined!
    When I want a minimal system with a selected list of software I like to do a Debian net install, just the basic system, then install just what I want. This young fellow pretty much lays it out for you: Installing XFCE In Debian Squeeze Netinstall - YouTube

I'm pretty sure you should be able to use Synaptic to install whatever emulators and/or other software you'd like to have.

Just Joined!
    Stanmore, an Inner Western Suburbs town near Sydney
    Puppy can do what you're asking, runs on low resources and runs quickly.

Puppy Slacko is what I use, but there are 2 other flavours, all fast, stable, full featured and worthy, 165 meg download, can boot from any media the device supports and runs within RAM, even on a unit with 512 meg.

Check the support forums, there are posts about emulators (I cannot post links as I rarely post here and there is some restriction)

Good luck with your search.

JM