Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by TNFrank So are you running the Dual Core Atom with Fedora or the Single Core? I know it doesn't take much to run some versions of Linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    So are you running the Dual Core Atom with Fedora or the Single Core? I know it doesn't take much to run some versions of Linux but I'd just like to make sure that I'll have a good experience with it on something with this little power.
    My EeePC is single-core. One of my Atom desktops is single core (but has 4GB memory). Two of the Atom desktops are dual-core.

They all work absolutely fine. As I said above, the only issue I have is trying to run youtube and similar video full-screen at 1080p. Your mileage may vary over this last point (depending on the video chipset that your new computer contains) but Linux with MATE should work fine.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Now I just need to sell off the two HP NC6400's that I have up for sale and keep a sharp eye out on Evil-Bay for a 10" Netbook with an Atom. If I can I'd rather have the N4xx dual core processor but I guess the N2xx single core would be ok too. It's always better to get more then you need rather then just enough or less.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    One note of caution. I find any laptop less than 15 inches really uncomfortable to type on for more than 10 minutes. I get a really bad pain in the wrists and towards the elbows. Anything with a full sized keyboard is fine. If you can, check a similar device out before splashing the cash.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    One note of caution. I find any laptop less than 15 inches really uncomfortable to type on for more than 10 minutes. I get a really bad pain in the wrists and towards the elbows. Anything with a full sized keyboard is fine. If you can, check a similar device out before splashing the cash.
    That's a good point. If I'm using my 9 incher for extended periods I'll plug in a full size USB keyboard.

My personal nc6400 is a 14.1" and it's still comfortable to type on thanks to the full size keyboard but 99% of the time it's plugged into a USB keyboard and mouse on my computer desk.
    I just mainly wanted one to mess around with and use as a take along for times when I'm going somewhere but wanted a computer with me.
    Of course Darren Kitchens brings up a good point of using a small netbook as an "air gap" for encoding your e-mails. Check out his info on Tekzilla and Hak5.
    Hak5 1504 - Setup Your Own Private Cloud and Air GapsTechnolust since 2005
    Last edited by TNFrank; 09-13-2013 at 04:47 PM.

Nice to see some talk about Atom processors. I've been involved with the freedom-box project and am running a Dreamplug. I have seen the new Intel with its "MinnowBoard," a $199 computer in the form of a 4.2" x 4.2" board with an Intel Atom processor. It has me intrigued about how it might work as a freedom-box and a home computer for running the house hold stuff, like air conditioning and evap cooler. It sounds like it might be the one to go for as it's built with all open hardware (except the video, which requires a blob, I believe). Just thought I'd mention that it's nice to find this type of discussion.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by jkwilborn View Post
    Nice to see some talk about Atom processors. I've been involved with the freedom-box project and am running a Dreamplug. I have seen the new Intel with its "MinnowBoard," a $199 computer in the form of a 4.2" x 4.2" board with an Intel Atom processor. It has me intrigued about how it might work as a freedom-box and a home computer for running the house hold stuff, like air conditioning and evap cooler. It sounds like it might be the one to go for as it's built with all open hardware (except the video, which requires a blob, I believe). Just thought I'd mention that it's nice to find this type of discussion.

Jack
    $199 for a computer? I paid about that (~140) for an AMD FM2 system (memory, cpu, ram) in the UK. This computer runs less than 100W, is there support for that with within the freedom-box project, because it seems to be much better than a simple atom board from Intel?

Also, I cant help feeling that at 3W, underpowered computing has a long way to go to be better than the Raspberry Pi - I'm currently using one of these as a dev/test web server running Fedora 18.

I'm thinking of getting one of these. UTILITE

Quote Originally Posted by slw210 View Post
    I'm thinking of getting one of these. UTILITE
    Looks like kind of the same idea as a Raspberry Pi.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    Looks like kind of the same idea as a Raspberry Pi.

Utilite Gallery | Utilite

Not even close

Freescale i.MX6 quad-core Cortex-A9 @1.2GHz,2GB DDR3-1066,
    Only thing I see lacking is usb 3.0. I bought 2 atom netbooks since you started this thread TNFrank and made money in the process selling my Asus Celeron Netbooks in the process.
    You kinda gave me the idea in a round about way. They are N270's with wiped drives and cost was 50 bucks a pop counting the A/C power brick and I have AntiX and Solydxk cruising
    on 2 of the 3 (I have a exact same model I paid 3 times more for last year, which made me familiar with the features.) Both are 2 gig ram and I am going to sell the third with Slack0 5.6
    Puppy Full install with Skype and HuluDesktop and XMBC with Firefox 25 with Flash 11.2 with GreaseMonkey piggy backed on it also.

These atom netbooks can make ya a quick 100 bucks with a little work and effort.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2