Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I'd kind of like to pick up a 10" Netbook to use as a take around computer(think it'd be better then a Tablet IMHO) and I've found a few on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Talk to me about Atom processors.

I'd kind of like to pick up a 10" Netbook to use as a take around computer(think it'd be better then a Tablet IMHO) and I've found a few on Evil-Bay. I just wonder about the processors and how they'd handle Linux Mint with the MATE desktop.
    The ones I've found have Atom processors as follows.

HP Hewlett-Packard Mini 110-3700 w/Intel Atom N455 1.67 GHz

HP Hewlett-Packard Mini 210-1000 w/Intel Atom N450 1.66 GHz

HP 1101 Mini w/Intel Atom N270 (1.6 GHz)

TOSHIBA mini NB205-N325BL w/Intel Atom N280 1.66GHz

I know from what research I've done that the first two with the N4XX processors are better then the later two with the N2XX but just how much do I really need to run Linux?

I'm trying to keep it in the $50 range give or take $10 bucks so I'm going to be "stuck" with older equipment(nothing new there, LOL) but I'd still like to get the most "bang for my buck" so, hit me with some info on these little 10" Netbooks. Thanks.

Having a Acer Aspire Atom 9 incher and a M&A Companion 9 incher.
    Plus 2 eeepc celeron (7" & 9")

I can't say how

they'd handle Linux Mint with the MATE desktop.
    because I favor window managers instead of desktop environments.

They are Linux friendly as hell though. i can't speak for HP netbooks either or Dell. I guess boot the pendrive, install, and write up your experience with a inxi -F thrown in for good measure.

I can say that all my netbooks handle flash 11.2 OK instead of having to downgrade to 11.1 or below. You should be just fine though running Mate on your choices. Wireless might be the achilles heel on those though I can't really say for sure.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

My Eee PC 901 (with an Atom N270) is still running great. It works with Fedora 19 using both Cinnamon and Mate - but mostly Mate these days.

You should have no problems getting any of these to do what you want to do with these using Mint. I have a lightweight desktop PC running an Atom N450 (I think...) and it also runs Fedora 19 - but it's not quite got enough ooomph to run youtube videos full screen at 1080p. It's not far off, though, and those laptops won't be using 1080p on their little displays.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Of course the N4xx would be the newer processor, right? Still, the Toshiba is a privately owned laptop so it might be in better shape then the two HP's which are being sold through an auction site and were most likely corporate owned. Also, I think the HP 1101 is privately owned as well so it might be in decent shape too. Anyway, thanks guys.

Make sure to look at how much RAM they have. Or if you have spare RAM (of the right type) already, bear in mind that there's likely only one RAM slot, total.

You'll probably want 1 meg of RAM...enough to run a web browser comfortably, at least if you only have only 1 or two tabs open (depends on the sites).
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

They all come with 1GB of RAM and yep, they only have one slot so I'd have to get a 2GB stick of RAM if I wanted to max out the system(which I'd probably do). I just think it'd be fun to have a little laptop to take around with me to play with since it'd be handier IMHO then a Tablet and just about as easy to carry. Still need to sell a couple laptops I have in order to get the funds for one of these but hopefully someone will pick up one of the ones I have for sale soon.

So are we pretty much in agreement that the little Atom processor with 2GB of RAM will run Linux Mint MATE ok? I didn't get the ones that I listed but I've found a couple more that I'm going to try for and I really want to make sure they'll work ok with Mint 15 MATE before I drop the cash on it. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    So are we pretty much in agreement that the little Atom processor with 2GB of RAM will run Linux Mint MATE ok? I didn't get the ones that I listed but I've found a couple more that I'm going to try for and I really want to make sure they'll work ok with Mint 15 MATE before I drop the cash on it. Thanks.
    I can't speak for anyone else, so I can't honestly say we all agree that this will work, but...

I run Fedora 19 in exactly this configuration (Intel Atom with 2GB ram) and it runs fine. I've got another system running with 1GB memory and that's fine, too. There is nothing to stop your new computer system working from a performance point of view.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

So are you running the Dual Core Atom with Fedora or the Single Core? I know it doesn't take much to run some versions of Linux but I'd just like to make sure that I'll have a good experience with it on something with this little power.

# of Cores 1
    ARK | Intel® Atom? Processor N270 (512K Cache, 1.60 GHz, 533 MHz FSB)

EEEPC 901 IS a nice unit though. Just my opinion. My Celeron eeepcs handle just fine though.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast