Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Well, I just pulled the trigger on a KingSpec 1.8" ZIF 40 SSD for this little Netbook. Hopefully it's the right one and hopefully the 1GB of Kingston DDR2 will ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Well, I just pulled the trigger on a KingSpec 1.8" ZIF 40 SSD for this little Netbook. Hopefully it's the right one and hopefully the 1GB of Kingston DDR2 will also work. Going to end up having a boat load of cash into this thing, hope it works well.

You might consider lubuntu or xubuntu, both run on more limited resources than pure ubuntu.
    Registered Linux user #526930

IIRC both the LXDE and xfce desktops used 150-160MB of RAM, not much less then my current GNOME 3 DE which is at around 180MB. I'll probably end up trying a few different Distros on it to see what'll work best.

I bought a 70 gig Kingspec zif connect SSD myself for the M&A Netbook. I have access doors on that though so it was a piece of cake investigating the hard drive connections since there are only my posts on M&A computers and Linux to refer to.

The true test will be posting to bios and seeing the drive and ram there on the screen. You see that. You are home free.

Off topic: I have been messing with my Antec Micro ATX board box. The AMD 4200 dual core CPU fan blade broke off and flew threw the case. It broke the cpu also.
    I have a SINGLE core AMD CPU subbing right now. I ordered and got in a AMD 4400 dual core from ebay. Monitor threw "No Signal" with the swap out.
    I reinsert my old one and email the seller who replies right away. We figure the cpu broke when usps, (post office). dented the shipping box. I tried again today swapping them out.
    No change , I noticed you could fry bacon on the cpu when I pulled it out when it burned my fingers.

Sigh, I really wanted this to work. But aint no way I am reinserting that ebay cpu. I had to let everything cool down for a couple of hours before my single core cpu
    would give me a screen. I started to think that bad cpu scorched my mother board because of a black screen also after the second attempt to use it and reinstalling my
    spare working single core one gave me a black screen also. It settled down after I let it cool down though.
    Sux to be me today.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Wow, sorry to hear you're having such a rough go of it pard. Yep, sometimes these computers can make ya' want to pull your hair out. I'm not looking forward to having to totally pull the Mother Board out of the ZG5 just to get to the RAM but I know I can do it even if it's not going to be the most fun that I'll have that day, LOL.
    Oh well, I'll keep everyone posted as to how the mods turn out on the ZG5, hope things go well and work, I'd hate to have to pull it back apart.

Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Thanks for the links. I've seen quite a few of em' doing my "homework" getting ready for the RAM and SSD upgrade. I've pulled a few laptops apart in the past but never to add memory or a hard drive, what a crazy design but I guess they made it so it'd be cheap to build and not so much to be user friendly. Can't wait until it gets here so I can mod it and see what it'll do.

Just Joined!
    your thread give me alot of knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by tararojer View Post
    your thread give me alot of knowledge.
    Thanks. I know many times I've gone on forums and other people's quest for info has also helped me out a lot too. I mean why cut a new path when someone else already has one cut for you.

Man, watching a couple of those videos that things is worse than old MacBooks for swapping out the hard drive. These days things are getting worse with trend for thinner and thinner devices they are starting to solder in memory and other componets.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast