Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Just "won" an Acer Aspire One ZG5 Netbook off of EvilBay and wondered what Op System would be good to run on this little thing? It's suppose to have 1GB ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Acer Aspire One ZG5 Op System recomendations?

Just "won" an Acer Aspire One ZG5 Netbook off of EvilBay and wondered what Op System would be good to run on this little thing? It's suppose to have 1GB of DDR2 RAM but I've read you can upgrade to a full 1.5GB of RAM. Guess there's 512MB internal that you can't get to and a single slot that you can get to that'll take either a 512MB or 1GB stick of DDR2(which I happen to have if it's 200 pin) so I can upgrade from 1GB to 1.5GB when I get it. Also suppose to have an 8GB SSD and an 8GB standard hard drive(need to get more info on that though) but since I won't be storing any music or movies on it that's not a huge deal.
    I'm currently running Ubuntu/GNOME 13.10 on my HP/Compaq nc6400's and like it pretty well. I wonder if it'll run on something like this Netbook or should I drop back to something like EasyPeasy or similar? I'd like to stay with an Ubuntu/Debian based Op System and GNOME 3 if I can.
    Anyway, hit me with some good ideas for an Op System that'll fit my requirements or if it's something else then "talk me into it" and we'll go from there. Thanks.

P.S.
    Just a quick update. This one comes with 1GB of RAM and Windows XP so I wonder if it has a 16GB SSD instead of an 8GB?

Ok, update to last update. Apparently it's an 8GB SSD with an 8GB SDHC so I guess it's a hybrid Hard Drive. Might just try to get a small SSD and install to give me more storage and I also read that the right speaker at 1khz will mess with the HDD part of the hard drive an cause it to crash if the volume is up, doesn't bother an SSD though.
    Last edited by TNFrank; 01-08-2014 at 08:51 PM.

Just stuck EasyPeasy on my #1 laptop on a 32GB partition to give it a try and play around with it a bit. Still waiting for someone to let me know if they think Ubuntu/GNOME 13.10 would work ok on this Netbook or if it'd be to "heavy" for it with GNOME 3 and all. Of course EasyPeasy also looks like it's using GNOME 3 of some kind and it's made for Netbooks.

I can think of lots of different distros but you are a Ubuntu fan so

DistroWatch.com: Linux Lite
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I'd say I'm more of a Debian fan and since Ubuntu is an off shoot of Debian then I like it by default. LOL I'd just like something that'll run well on this little Netbook since it's not going to be really powerful enough to run some kind of full Op System like even my older Core Duo nc6400's can run.

So can anyone else give me some info here???? What about upgrading the SSD, I know it's a 1.8" ZIF and I think it's a 40 pin but I'm not 100% sure. Is that the only drive in the computer or is there an 8GB SSD and a separate 8GB standard hard drive also?? What about RAM, I have a 200 pin Kingston 1GB DDR2-533MHz left over from my other laptops, will that work? I've read that these little Acers are picky about memory but it seems that I recall reading that Kingston will work in them. Any info or help ya'll can give would greatly be appreciated.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Don't know about the hardware, but if you want something lightweight that is Debian based then consider Crunchbang or Antix. Of the two, I have always preferred Crunchbang. Of course there is nothing in either of them that you couldn't do in Debian if you have the time.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Code:
    What about upgrading the SSD, I know it's a 1.8" ZIF and I think it's a 40 pin but I'm not 100% sure.
    I installed a zif 1.8" Kingspec SSD in my M&A Companion Atom netbook. It boots AntiX to login in 14 seconds and runs like a raped ape.

Here is a site you may like

Modding the Acer Aspire One ? hard drive | tnkgrl Mobile

And me, being across the pond from elija and just different. I prefer AntiX over crunchbang. Courses for different horses.

SolyX Linux might be your cup of tea/coffee also. Give me a few and I will be back to post the internal specs on my Acer Aspire One
    ZG5.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I could never get AntiX to run on anything, not sure if I was doing something wrong or what and as for CrunchBang, looks way to plain and boring for my tastes, all that grey and stuff, uck,LOL.
    I think I might give EasyPeasy 2.0 Alpha a try. It's basicaly Ubuntu 12.04LTS with a decent looking Gnome 3 desktop and with Gnome Tweak Tools I can set it up to look pretty nice. Got it on my #1 right now and I actually like it a bit better then the Ubuntu/GNOME 13.10 that I had on it.

I just want to make sure if I plop down $60 bucks for an SSD that it'll work properly and wonder if it's the only hard drive in the computer of if they're are two of em' or what? I'd like to get this little Netbook set up so it'll run well and be decent even with the weak little 1.6GHz Atom processor and only (after I upgrade and if my 1GB Kingston DDR2 works) to 1.5GB of RAM.
    Appreciate any info you can dig up rokynju, thanks.

as for CrunchBang, looks way to plain and boring for my tastes, all that grey and stuff, uck,LOL.
    Well, It never stopped me from customizing my bikes, cars, trucks, computers to my personal tastes. Even when single, girls.

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/x...eap_shot-1.jpg

But I guess to each their own. Any hows, Here are the specs on my Acer Aspire One ZG5 that originally and still has a partition for Windows XP on it (for the wife). It used to belong to her but I bought her a Compaq CQ 57 last Christmas
    so she handed me this. I keep XP on here when she wants to take it for a bit.

I guess ya saw my other post in your easy peasy thread. I like using semi-rolling isos myself. Good luck with easy peasy 2.

Code:
    Machine:   System: Acer (portable) product: AOA150 version: 1
               Mobo: Acer model: N/A Bios: Acer version: v0.3305 date: 05/09/2008
    CPU:       Single core Intel Atom CPU N270 (-HT-) cache: 512 KB flags: (pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) bmips: 3191.8 
               Clock Speeds: 1: 1333.00 MHz 2: 800.00 MHz
    Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile 945GME Express Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
               X.Org: 1.7.6 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1024x600@60.0hz 
               GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 945GME GEM 20091221 2009Q4 x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 1.4 Mesa 7.7.1 Direct Rendering: Yes
    Audio:     Card: Intel N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: HDA Intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0 
               Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: 1.0.24
    Network:   Card-1: Atheros AR5001 Wireless Network Adapter driver: ath5k bus-ID: 03:00.0
               IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
               Card-2: Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller 
               driver: r8169 ver: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 3000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
               IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
    Drives:    HDD Total Size: 160.0GB (8.8% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD1600BEVT size: 160.0GB temp: 17C 
    Partition: ID: / size: 7.1G used: 2.9G (44%) fs: ext4 ID: /home size: 25G used: 11G (45%) fs: ext4 
               ID: swap-1 size: 2.11GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
    RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
    Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 31.0C mobo: N/A 
               Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
    Info:      Processes: 139 Uptime: 2 min Memory: 157.7/989.7MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: N/A 
               Client: Shell (bash 4.1.5) inxi: 1.9.17
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Thanks, I appreciate the info, espicially the page about modding the Acer one. We just sold my wife's CQ-57 and I'm letting her use my #3 laptop. All three of my laptops(except for this one now) are HP/Compaq nc6400's, only difference is the hard drive. My #1 has a 320GB, my #2 is a 120GB and the ol' #3 is an 80GB. Even at 14.1" they're a bit much to carry around all the time so I figured this little 8.9" would be really handy for a Travel computer.
    From all I've read you practically have to take the entire thing apart to add RAM or do anything to it including hard drive. I'll read over the links. Thanks again. Keep on keepin' on.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast