Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I need to know if one of the two 1GB sticks of DDR2 will work in the Acer Aspire One ZG5 that I'm getting. I know speed isn't as much ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Memory for Acer Aspire One ZG5??

I need to know if one of the two 1GB sticks of DDR2 will work in the Acer Aspire One ZG5 that I'm getting. I know speed isn't as much of a factor since faster memory will just throttle down to bus speed so the 800MHz DDR2-6400 stuff will simply slow to the 667MHz bus speed of the mother board.
    What I do need to know is if "Low Density" that's needed will work with what I have which I think is a "High Density" but I'm not really sure.
    I have a Kingston 1GB 1Rx8 PC2-6400s stick and a Nanya 1GB 2Rx16 PC2-6400s stick. The memory that's suppose to be compatible is 1GB 1Rx16 PC2-5300.
    Like I said, speed isn't really the factor here but the 1Rx8 and 2Rx16 vs the compatible 1Rx16 is what I'm wondering about. Will either of the two stick I have work or do I need to buy a 1Rx16 stick? Thanks.

Ok, I think what I'm really asking here(and there has to be SOMEONE who knows the answer on this forum) is will the 1Rx8 or 2Rx16 work in place of the 1Rx16 or do I have to stay with 1Rx16 to be compatible?

I guess another question would be which is more important, the 1Rx vs 2Rx or the 8 vs 16. The RAM that I saw in the picture that I looked at on the interweb showed the Acer with a 1Rx16 stick, so that's "Rank 1" memory which if I'm reading it correctly is faster then 2Rx or "Rank 2" memory. The 8 would be 8 data bits vs the 16 which would be 16 data bits so do I go with 1Rx8 so I'd have the same ranking but only 8 bits vs 16 or do I go with 2Rx16 so I'd have slower Rank 2 memory but the same 16 data bits? Some one here has to know this stuff.

Linux Engineer
    You're a brave man TNFrank.

As long as they fit in the same slot (ie are the same type of memory) they can potentially be used together. The triumvirate for memory is timing, voltage and latency and I think what the hardware hackers do is adjust these settings in bios. I have read of such things but always opted to use the same memory instead of trying it. If you search on adjusting memory voltage in the bios I'm sure you'll come across lots of stuff on it.

I look forward to reading your experiences.

There's not really any "together" with the Acer Aspire, it only has a single DDR2, 200 pin slot on the bottom of the mother board. Not sure what the 512MB of RAM is that hard wired to the mother board(1Rx, 2Rx or what) aside from being DDR2 @ 667MHz. I just wonder if I should break down and order a 1GB stick of DDR2 that's 1Rx16 so I know it'll match?

Well, heck, I just went a head and ordered this:
    Amazon.com: 1GB (1x1gb) RAM Memory for Acer Aspire One ZG5 Netbook DDR2 SODIMM: Computers & Accessories
    it should work since it's being sold for this Netbook.

Linux Engineer
    Seems a reasonable choice.

I just don't want to have to pull the entire dang Netbook apart again if the memory that I have doesn't work. It'll be pain enough to do it once, may as well get the right stuff and do it right the first time.

I'll work. Low density ram is always the right choice when in doubt.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    I'll work. Low density ram is always the right choice when in doubt.
    I'm still trying to figure out the 1Rx and 2Rx stuff. I guess the 1Rx is faster since when being read it only has to go around the bus once to get the info. Not sure about the 8 vs 16. I guess 16 is better?? There's really more to it then just DDR2 and clock speed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast