Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Good link, thanks. There's also one to Ubuntu on the Acer there as well. The Acer is using 206MB of RAM for the DE, my HP/Compaq nc6400, using the same ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Good link, thanks. There's also one to Ubuntu on the Acer there as well. The Acer is using 206MB of RAM for the DE, my HP/Compaq nc6400, using the same Op System is using 199MB, wonder why the little Acer is using 7MB extra? Wonder if that's the 8MB for the video graphics?

I can post back with it later as I am on other gear presently in my motorcycle shop.
    Code:
    harry@biker:~
    $ sux
    Password: 
    root@biker:/home/harry# hdparm -Tt /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
     Timing cached reads:   1140 MB in  2.00 seconds = 570.00 MB/sec
     Timing buffered disk reads: 224 MB in  3.02 seconds =  74.05 MB/sec
    root@biker:/home/harry# acpi -b
    Battery 0: Discharging, 89%, rate information unavailable
    $ inxi -Fxz
    System:    Host: biker Kernel: 3.12-6.towo-siduction-686-pae i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) 
               Desktop: IceWM 1.3.7 Distro: antiX-13_386-full Luddite 01 June 2013
    Machine:   System: manda product: Intel powered classmate PC version: Gen 1.5L
               Mobo: N/A model: N/A Bios: American Megatrends version: CM94515A.86A.0024.2008.0715.1716 date: 07/15/2008
    CPU:       Single core Intel Core CPU N270 (-HT-) cache: 512 KB flags: (nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) bmips: 3191.99 
               Clock Speeds: 1: 800.00 MHz 2: 1600.00 MHz
    Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile 945GSE Express Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
               X.Org: 1.14.5 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1024x600@53.3hz 
               GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 945GME x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 9.2.2 Direct Rendering: Yes
    Audio:     Card: Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0 
               Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.12-6.towo-siduction-686-pae
    Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller 
               driver: r8169 ver: 2.3LK-NAPI port: ec00 bus-ID: 01:00.0
               IF: eth1 state: down mac: <filter>
    Drives:    HDD Total Size: 63.3GB (51.4% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: KingSpec_KSD size: 63.3GB 
    Partition: ID: / size: 59G used: 31G (56%) fs: ext2 
    Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 59.0C mobo: N/A 
               Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
    Info:      Processes: 101 Uptime: 25 min Memory: 324.8/2015.1MB Runlevel: 5 
               Gcc sys: 4.8.2 Client: Shell (bash 4.2.45) inxi: 1.9.18 
    harry@biker:~
    $ lsusb -t
    /:  Bus 05.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ehci-pci/8p, 480M
        |__ Port 6: Dev 2, If 0, Class=Video, Driver=uvcvideo, 480M
        |__ Port 6: Dev 2, If 1, Class=Video, Driver=uvcvideo, 480M
        |__ Port 7: Dev 3, If 0, Class=Vendor Specific Class, Driver=rt73usb, 480M
        |__ Port 8: Dev 4, If 0, Class=Mass Storage, Driver=ums-realtek, 480M
    /:  Bus 04.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=uhci_hcd/2p, 12M
    /:  Bus 03.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=uhci_hcd/2p, 12M
    /:  Bus 02.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=uhci_hcd/2p, 12M
    /:  Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=uhci_hcd/2p, 12M
    It's survived riding in my motorcycle saddlebags so far. So, the Kingspec horror stories aren't hitting my good spot in the universe so far.
    Since last April anyways when I installed it. I work this pretty hard and I ride Harley Davidsons so this netbook sees rough vibration in the saddlebags.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Nice! Your experience makes me more confident. Too bad even the 32GB is a bit pricey (for me). I found this current listing for $47.43 for a 32GB KingSpec (there are a couple slightly less expensive listings, but those don't specify any compatibility list, so I'm not absolutely positive they're for the 0.2mm thick cable vs 0.3mm thick cable).

For now, I'm going to just live with the sluggish hard drive, I guess. But I really appreciate the info from your experience. Maybe soon...
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

Well, I've gone back to Point Linux 2.2. It only takes 160MB for the desktop, about 50MB less then GNOME 3 and I'm just so use to it. Seems to run pretty well on this little Netbook, I guess MATE is just lighter. Of course I'll have to reinstall everything when I upgrade to the new SSD but hey, that's half the fun, right? Oh well, talk to ya'll later.

Just read a listing on EvilBay for an AOA110 ZG5 that said it had a 160GB Hard Drive????? I thought this model only came with a 8GB SSD? Also, there's a AOA150 listed with a 160GB hard drive(SSD?) which I guess is the newer model of the 110. So, what's the difference between the 110 and the 150? I think I've got my wife talked into buying another one of these little Netbooks if we can get it at the right price so she can take it to work and play her Freecell card game and check Facebook during her lunch break. Anyway, just wanted to add to this thread instead of starting another one. Please, hit me with some info pards. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    Just read a listing on EvilBay for an AOA110 ZG5 that said it had a 160GB Hard Drive????? I thought this model only came with a 8GB SSD? Also, there's a AOA150 listed with a 160GB hard drive(SSD?) which I guess is the newer model of the 110. So, what's the difference between the 110 and the 150? I think I've got my wife talked into buying another one of these little Netbooks if we can get it at the right price so she can take it to work and play her Freecell card game and check Facebook during her lunch break. Anyway, just wanted to add to this thread instead of starting another one. Please, hit me with some info pards. Thanks.
    All I can do is show my specs again
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lap...tml#post942530

As far as the 160gig 110. The sellers on ebay sell modded stuff all the time.

You can compare my 150 readouts to your 110 readouts to see any differences. inxi reveals all.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    From what I've read, googling around to see what sort of drive would fit in your netbook, the 160GB versions have a 2.5" standard laptop hard drive in it, while the SSD versions have a 1.8" mini-drive in it (with just barely enough internal space to cram in a full size 1.8" drive). The 2.5" hard drive versions have a slightly larger case.

The SSD versions have neither the physical space to fit a 2.5" hard drive, nor the SATA connector--unless you feel like soldering one to the motherboard. But there is sufficient physical space for a 1.8" PATA ZIF hard drive. Reading around, you can't just put any 1.8" ZIF drive in it and expect the BIOS to recognize it. I had such issues with my Motion Computing LE1700. I tried to transplant an 80Gig drive from an old iPod to it. The drive was recognized and I could read/write from it when booting into Linux on a USB drive--but the BIOS wouldn't boot from it. Basically, make sure the 1.8" drive you're considering is compatible with your device first!

In my experience, 2.5" SATA drives are a lot more generally compatible, but even then it's not completely perfect. The Toshiba SSD wouldn't work with my older desktop computers.

I would recommend you get the hard drive version, even if you intend to replace the 160GB hard drive with an SSD. Even though the case will be bigger, having a 2.5" SATA drive is easily worth it! You can get much bigger, cheaper, faster SSDs in 2.5" SATA, and there will be even bigger/cheaper/faster SSDs in the 2.5" SATA format for years to come. 1.8" ZIF PATA is a dead end, with limited options and compatibility concerns to boot.

Oh, another general suggestion (which I've previously suggested to you ages ago):

Try XFCE4. You don't need to switch distros to do this. XFCE4 is available for practically every distro. On a Debian/Ubuntu based distro, you just use "apt-get xfce4". In the login screen, you have the option to choose which desktop environment you log in with. Just select xfce4 rather than GNOME3 or Unity or Cinnamon or whatever. It's not quite as lean and mean as IceWM, but it's a lot friendlier and full featured.

I find the performance boost of using XFCE4 over the heavier default desktop environments to be compelling even on my fastest computers. I wouldn't run anything else on a netbook. (Well, maybe IceWM.)

I really love this, a guy has an Acer Aspire One listed on EvilBay and he says this "320 GB 5400 RPM SSD (Solid State Drive)". Really, a "5400 RPM" SSD??? Come on now. He's got to be joking.

Linux Engineer
    Spinning State Drive?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast