Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Originally Posted by gregm Spinning State Drive? LOL, he actually says "Solid State Drive" in the add but it's a 5400rpm Solid State Drive. LOL. Some people's kids. I could ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by gregm View Post
    Spinning State Drive?
    LOL, he actually says "Solid State Drive" in the add but it's a 5400rpm Solid State Drive. LOL. Some people's kids.
    I could post a link to the add on EvilBay if I'd not be breaking any forum rules or anything.

P.S.
    Ok, did some digging and this model actually has a HDD not a SSD. Wonder if it's 2.5" or not?
    Last edited by TNFrank; 01-16-2014 at 05:36 PM.

Talk about a royal dang pain in the butt. Got everything pulled apart. Finally figure out how to mount the new SSD under the Mother Board so it'd fit, got everything back together and the stupid ribbon cable was plugged into the SSD the wrong way around. Ok, so I pull everything back apart, flip the cable around and get it all back together and it works but in the process two of the clips that hold the bezel on toward the palm rest side broke and it looks like the clip that helps to hold the keyboard in place by the F2 button broke or something because it didn't pop back out to help secure the keyboard. I don't know who designed this POS but they need to get their butt kicked good and hard.
    Oh well, it's done, won't have to mess with it again, thank God.

Well, I ordered a new bezel/palm rest for the ZG5. I hate having things that are not right or are broker. So, what's another $16 bucks to make things right. CPU Blowfish benchmark came down a little bit but nothing to write home about. Still, it boots a lot faster with the new SSD. Wish there was a way to benchmark the SSD without having to totally empty it. I know Gnome Disk Utility will do a read/write benchmark on stuff but it needs to be totally empty and I just reloaded Point Linux onto the SSD. Oh well, it's working, that's all that counts.

Didn't like the way the SSD was installed so I pulled it all apart again and redid everything. Sometimes I'm just too much of a perfectionist. Anyway, cut out one of the posts where the original SSD card mounted and got the new, bigger SSD mounted in better and I flipped it over so the ribbon cable isn't all twisted and stuff. Everything looks a lot better. I do this a couple more times and I'll be able to take this Netbook apart in my sleep,LOL.

Practice makes perfect and who knows. Maybe your new skill set will come in handy and make you recoup your monetary losses someday.
    It has for me.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

So now the left speaker doesn't work. Like they worked all that well in the first place. So, you guessed it, I ordered a set of speakers for this little Money Pit. With what I have into it I could have gotten a really nice 10" to 12" laptop. Oh well, it IS all mine,LOL.

Hey. I bought a Boom Can That works on my phone and netbooks. My Netbook speakers suck the big one and ear buds or head phones are the only way to go on those anyways.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

These little speakers suck too but I just can't bare not having them both working, crazy isn't it.LOL. I'm going to pick up an inexpensive set of externals for listening to YouTube vids and stuff too just need to see if Wally World or Staples has a set for around $10 since I really don't see spending more then that. Talk to ya' later.

Well, got the new palm rest in today, hopefully the new internal speakers will be in the mail also and maybe, if I'm lucky the external USB speakers. MONEY PIT, that's what this little Netbook is a MONEY PIT, but it still is Cute as a bug's ear.

Well, I got the new internal speakers in(they sound like small, internal speakers but at least both work now) and got the new palm rest so it's buttoned up properly. Also got the external USB power speakers, man, what a difference it makes. Not going to fill a room with em' but they sound a lot better for watching videos and stuff. And that's another thing, I converted a DVD to .mkv and it actually plays very well on this little Netbook so I'm really pleased about that. Sunk a ton of cash into it but I really like it a lot and should get plenty of use out of it and in the end that's what really counts.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast