Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
So how do you like the performance boost of the SSD, during normal use? I mean after boot time, which isn't very relevant to me since I use suspend anyway. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

So how do you like the performance boost of the SSD, during normal use? I mean after boot time, which isn't very relevant to me since I use suspend anyway.

Actually, on my Fujitsu T5010 the SSD's speed could be annoyingly fast on boot up when the session had a web browser open. The web browser would load so fast, that it would try to open a page even before the wireless connection was established. This would never happen with a normal hard drive.

Anyway, my Motion Computing LE1700 has become quite a money sink for me, like you with your netbook. I bought the thing for $90, but put in $100 for a luxurious keyboard, $20 for the bluetooth USB dongle I needed for the keyboard (internal bluetooth simply won't work in Linux), $50 on an extended battery, and now $120 on an SSD...

Yeah, I went ahead and ordered a KingSpec SSD of my own. I decided I needed to upgrade the hard drive capacity because 40GB was uncomfortably tight for a dual boot system. I need Windows for work; meh; and the damnable WinSxS folder sucks up insane amounts of disk space. Yes, there is literally a Windows folder that's pronounced "Win Sucks", and it literally sucks up your free disk space--far more than the entire rest of the OS, applications, and data put together.

So for me, the 32GB model is definitely insufficient; the 64GB model was less of a space upgrade than I'm comfortable with. So...sigh...I had to go all the way and go with the 128GB KingSpec SSD. Sure, I could have saved a bundle and gotten a spinning hard drive (only $40 for a 120GB drive). But hey--it's for work, so the extra money is justified, right?

I'll report my results with the KingSpec 128GB 1.8″ ZIF (KSD-ZF18.6-128MS)...eventually. Estimated delivery time is about a month. Slow boat from China...
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

SSD seems to work pretty fast comparing it to my nc6400's which have a Core Duo 1.83GHz processor and SATA II hard drives. Boot time is fast but I too normally use Suspend instead of shutting down, at least during the day when I'm going to go back to the computer in an hour or so.
    I really like the little Netbook, I think it's going to work out nicely for what I want to do.
    As far as space the 32GB will work out fine for me, way better then the original and slow 8GB. I normally only run my OS and don't store a lot of stuff on my computers. That's what my external storage is for(currently a 60GB SATA hard drive in an enclosure and a 32GB USB stick, plus other USB's for special stuff like movies or .iso's I use a lot) so I think I'll be ok with 32GB.

My KingSpec 128GB 1.8″ ZIF (KSD-ZF18.6-128MS) arrived last night, on a slow boat from China!

It works on my Motion Computing LE1700 like a charm. It's a bit lighter than the 40GB HDD it's replacing, and the ZIF clip is much bigger/sturdier/easier to manipulate. I transferred the drive via booting to a USB thumbdrive, an nfs share, and a couple dd commands, then used gparted to expand the Linux OS partition...

And, success! Everything just plain worked, first try. Boot time from the GRUB menu to XFCE4 desktop is 17 seconds, and chromium opened up in 2 seconds. I'm quite happy with the performance, and will be experimenting with RAMBOOT mainly for the benefit of my other computers (not equipped with SSDs).

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I'm quite happy
    Like my Mom used to tell me when throwing a spoon of food I never tasted before at my mouth.

"You won't know until you've tried it!"

I know a 128GB is a expensive spoon but glad things worked out OK.
    I am quite happy with my 64gig SSD and would upgrade all my gear to ssd if I had the mooolaaa=(money,bucks,funds,budget)

But, one deals with what one has on hand. I told you my boots were fast. I use the scientific "One Mississippi, Two Mississippi) method, (I don't wear a watch or rings, it interferes with wrenching)
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    Like my Mom used to tell me when throwing a spoon of food I never tasted before at my mouth.

"You won't know until you've tried it!"
    Oh, I knew I'd like it. The 4200rpm 40GB HDD was sluggish compared to 2.5" drives, and I've used SSDs on other machines. And, of course, RAMBOOT is even faster than an SSD. It may be slightly slower than RAMBOOT, but not by enough for me to really care.
    I know a 128GB is a expensive spoon but glad things worked out OK.
    Well...so far. I'll only know with time, whether or not this Kingspec lives down to various horror stories we've heard.
    I am quite happy with my 64gig SSD and would upgrade all my gear to ssd if I had the mooolaaa=(money,bucks,funds,budget)
    I definitely don't, which is why I've hacked together "RAMBOOT".
    But, one deals with what one has on hand. I told you my boots were fast. I use the scientific "One Mississippi, Two Mississippi) method, (I don't wear a watch or rings, it interferes with wrenching)
    The boot time is a bit slower than I was expecting, but then my T5010 has a significantly faster CPU. Linux boot time is not a big concern for me, though, because I primarily use Linux and leave the computer in suspend mode.

When I need to remote into work, though, I need to boot up Windows. The boost in Windows boot time is significant to me. (I have to use Windows for this job; only approved VPN client allowed. I could use a Linux Citrus client for my last job.)

Since I sold my #3 that my wife was using I've let her have the Netbook since I now have the NC4400 12.1" for a smaller laptop to use. She likes the 9 hour battery life that the larger 9 cell has and even with the hi-output 3 cell it still gets over 4 hours. Netbooks may not be the fastest or most powerful "laptop" on the block with with that SSD and Atom processor they really do just sip the power.

Just Joined!
    I dont have knowledge of coding. Dont know when i can do this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4