Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Category:T61 - ThinkWiki Good Luck, Rok...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Category:T61 - ThinkWiki

Good Luck, Rok
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Man this link is awesome.
    Thanks !!

sent from my Galaxy S4.

Quote Originally Posted by Khalil94 View Post
    Thanks a lot for this helpful replies guys.
    I have made my decision, a lenovo t61.
    Core2Duo
    2 gigs of ram
    80 Gb of hard drive

I am going to start with Debian Linux, I guess it's the best distribution for newbies like me.
    Actually Debian isn't a great distro for newbies, it's great once more experienced. Over in the Newbie section I posted and guide to the popular Linuxes that might be worth checking out.

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/new...r-linuxes.html

Trusted Penguin
    good choice! i use the t61 at work (running RHEL & Fedora) and it is an awesome machine. the keyboard (as you mentioned) alone is enough for me to prefer it over all others in the office. that fact that it "feels" like quality craftsmanship, is snappy and attractive (in an industrial sense) doesn't hurt either.

Quote Originally Posted by Khalil94 View Post
    Thanks a lot for this helpful replies guys.
    I have made my decision, a lenovo t61.
    Core2Duo
    2 gigs of ram
    80 Gb of hard drive

I am going to start with Debian Linux, I guess it's the best distribution for newbies like me.

sent from my Galaxy S4.
    Give Point Linux 2.2 a try. It's a pure Debian Stable core with a MATE desktop that's fairly light weight and easy to get around on. Plus, it comes with Firefox installed so you'll have it out of the box where as most other Debian Distros come with an offshoot of Firefox called Iceweasel which is ok but I still prefer Firefox.
    Point Linux - Download
    Of course if you want to mess around with Software Defined Radio then the easy way is just to install Kali Linux 1.0.6 and simply ignore all the Penetration Testing tools that come bundled with it.

Should your notebook have the Quadro video card and you choose to use 64-bit, you will most likely need this proprietary driver

@roky -- thanks for the think link!
    "What you think about me is none of my business"

Quote Originally Posted by zenwalker View Post
    Should your notebook have the Quadro video card and you choose to use 64-bit, you will most likely need this proprietary driver

@roky -- thanks for the think link!
    However if you don't plan on using more then 4GB of RAM you can use the 32bit version and be fine. Sometimes the 32bit versions have a bit better support for older hardware then the newer 64bit versions because they've been around longer.
    Trust me, give Point Linux with it's MATE DE a try and I'm sure you'll love it. If it wasn't for being such a PITA to install SDR software I'd still be running it but Kali Linux 1.0.6 had it pre-installed so there was nothing to mess with to get my SDR up and running so that's the only real reason why I switched. Both are still Debian at the core, it's just that Point uses the MATE DE and Kali, from what I can tell, uses the GNOME 3 "Classic" DE which makes it look more like the older GNOME 2 DE which MATE is a fork of.

Just Joined!
    Lenovo T 430 is also best for linux.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2