Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello everyone So I have been thinking seriouslly about moving from Windows to Linux and I have made my decision. Now I want to buy a laptop in order to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Lenovo x40? A good choice??

Hello everyone

So I have been thinking seriouslly about moving from Windows to Linux and I have made my decision.
    Now I want to buy a laptop in order to start the transformation process
    My budget is limited and I can't spend more than 150 (195 $). So I am thinking about the lenovo x40.
    I have heard that lenovo laptops work very well with Linux and I loved the way the X40 looks like (especially the keyboard).

So here are the specifications of the laptop I am intending to buy:

Ram: 512 mb
    Processor: intel Pentium mobile
    Hard disk: 30 GB
    Graphic card: integrated

The usage of this laptop will be Every-day usage. Like surfing the internet, listening to music...etc and the most important is learning Linux

So what do you guys think? Shall I go ahead and buy it?? Or you recommend something else? ?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Your choice of distros will be limited with a Pentium M and only 512MB RAM.
    I think I would go with a Core2Duo and one gig of RAM, at least. Look around for an old Lenovo with similar specs, if possible. It would better serve you for a longer time period!
    I like your priorities, though.
    "What you think about me is none of my business"

Just Joined!
    @zenwalker:
    Thanks a lot for the reply.
    So I have found an old lenovo with Core2Duo and 2 gigs of ram.
    What would my options be with this machine? ? What Distro??
    Will this lenovo work well with Debian Linux?? Or Ubuntu for example??

sent from my Galaxy S4.

My favorite Laptop/Notebook rigs are the HP/Compaq NC Series. I started out with an NC8230, 15.4" and it was decent enough even though it only had a Pentium M 1.87GHz processor. I've moved to the NC6400, 14.1" with Core Duo(32bit) 1.83GHz processor and it's a real work horse. Maybe not the fastest kid on the block but built like a tank and has all the features that I like. I've recently picked up an NC4400, 12.1" with a Core 2 Duo(64bit) processor at 2.0GHz and benchmarks show that it's a bit faster then the NC6400 and will be easier to pack around because of it's slightly smaller size.
    From what I've seen HP/Compaq, IBM and Lenovo all look similar(at least the ones I was looking at) and should all do equally as well. Just watch out for the older Pentium M processors with the 400MHz bus, they're Non-PAE so you can't run just any Distro on em'. Older Pentiums and Pentium M's with the 533MHz bus or faster are PAE so you'll be ok with any Distro you want to run.
    Stick with a Core Duo(32bit) or Core 2 Duo(64bit) and 2GB of RAM and you should have no problem at all running any Linux Distro that you want to try out. Of course hard drive is entirely up to you but in this day and age of being able to get a 64GB SSD for under $60 bucks that's what I'd go with if you don't need a lot of space. Of course you can also get a SATA 3(6.0GbS) 320GB 7200rpm HDD for under $60 as well so if you need the space that may be a better choice for your money.
    Either way those "old, square looking" laptops are hard to beat because of their durability and parts availability. If you can post a pic of the Lenovo that you want to get so we can see it. Hope this helps.

As TNFrank has said, " . . . you should have no problem at all running any Linux Distro that you want to try out" with your new choice of a laptop.
    I favor old Lenovos and Debian-based distros, myself -- like my G560 with P6100 cpu, 8 gigs RAM and a 128 gig Samsung 840 Pro SSD with antiX-13.2_x64-full "Luddite" -- the performance is amazing.

Also, the distro's forum is full of helpful people. You will learn a lot.

Best wishes and I am glad to have been of some help!
    "What you think about me is none of my business"

I've had good luck with Toshiba laptops they can be found used at good prices and I have been able to run many distros on the ones I've had.

I think as long as you stay with a main stream brand and a dual core processor of at least 1.5GHz you'll be fine. My wife had a Compaq CQ57 with a Core 2 Duo 1.5GHz processor and 4GB of RAM and it ran like a top. Just didn't like the flimsy design of that laptop so we sold it and I let her have one of my NC6400 "Business Class" laptops to use. There's a lot of Corporate turn-ins on the market and you can pick them up pretty cheap on EvilBay if you just know what to look for and don't jump at the first one you see.
    I picked up the HP/Compaq NC4400 with the Core 2 Duo 2.0GHZ processor and 2GB of RAM for $40 bucks but it didn't have an A/C adapter or hard drive and had that stupid Power On Password so I had to pull it totally apart and remove the CMOS battery for about 20 minutes to clear the BIOS. After that it's Bob's your Uncle, install my op system and cleaned it up and I have a nice little 12.1" laptop for cheap.

HP Compaq 6910p 14 1" Intel Core 2 Duo 2 1GHz 4GB RAM 80GB ATI Radeon HD 2300 883585173150 | eBay
    This would be a pretty decent laptop if you could get it for around $60. As far as the dents in the back of the lid are concerned, that's what stickers are for, just slap a couple stickers over em' and you'll never know that they're there.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I'm another one who likes Toshiba; although out your stated price range, their mid - high level range are very good value for money. Although I have never had a Lenovo I've heard good things about them for both quality and reliability.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Just Joined!
    Thanks a lot for this helpful replies guys.
    I have made my decision, a lenovo t61.
    Core2Duo
    2 gigs of ram
    80 Gb of hard drive

I am going to start with Debian Linux, I guess it's the best distribution for newbies like me.

sent from my Galaxy S4.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast