Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
Figured I'd post an update. I've been running Linux Mint for a few months and it seems to be running ok. Sometimes the machine locks up and I have to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Figured I'd post an update. I've been running Linux Mint for a few months and it seems to be running ok. Sometimes the machine locks up and I have to reboot. There are other display quirks, but overall it is going well. May try some other distros just for fun. Couldn't get open suse to install at all.

I just put Manjaro/GNOME on my wife's Acer Aspire ZG5 Netbook that's got lighter specs then you're computer and it seems to be running as fine as it does on my full size laptops. Might give that a try if you're not married to Linux Mint.
    "Now, what y'all wanna do?
    Wanna be hackers? Code crackers? Slackers
    Wastin' time with all the chatroom yakkers?
    9 to 5, chillin' at Hewlett Packard?"

I use Fedora on Acer laptop - that was pretty old lappy 512mb ram + 80gb harddrive. Mint should work else try Ubuntu.
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Just Joined!
    I think I have a drive problem. It won't read any dvd's I put in to try to boot live even if I burn them with the laptop. Driving me nuts....

Quote Originally Posted by Kelpie View Post
    I think I have a drive problem. It won't read any dvd's I put in to try to boot live even if I burn them with the laptop. Driving me nuts....
    My 5534 I sold would boot off of sd card or USB. My Acer Aspire One ZG5 only boots off of usb. If live linux on a sd card. I need a usb to sd adapter to boot on the ZG5.

Old thread of mine showing me running Linux off of a 128MB Kodak Camera SD card
    . The Camera was not function-able so I scavenged the SD card for use while I prepared the Laptop for Sale.

If I had your 5520. I'd probably install THIS but I understand everyone has their own tastes in picking girl friends.
    Same, same, with linux operating systems. What ever trips your trigger should run fine on it unless Hardware is failing or broken.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post

If I had your 5520. I'd probably install THIS but I understand everyone has their own tastes in picking girl friends.
    Don't forget the patch for that:
    Distribution Release: antiX 14.2 "MX" (DistroWatch.com News)
    "Now, what y'all wanna do?
    Wanna be hackers? Code crackers? Slackers
    Wastin' time with all the chatroom yakkers?
    9 to 5, chillin' at Hewlett Packard?"

Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    I am on the team so I am current (I be special)
    TNFrank likes this.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2