Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Hello All, I have an Acer Aspire 5520. It has a 1.8 GHz Athalon dual core processor, 3 gig of ram, and nVidia GeForce 7000M graphos with 256 meg of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Best distro for an Acer

Hello All,
    I have an Acer Aspire 5520. It has a 1.8 GHz Athalon dual core processor, 3 gig of ram, and nVidia GeForce 7000M graphos with 256 meg of memory.

I thought of using open Suse, but hear Unbutu is better for laptops.
    Last edited by Kelpie; 04-01-2014 at 06:14 PM.

You have the muscle to run anything you want, so it boils down to what you like best. Try several distro's from the top 100 at distrowatch.com, and pick the one that makes you smile.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Ditto, you can run about any Linux Distro you want with those specs. SolydX is a nice, light Distro using an xfce desktop. Point Linux 2.3 is good and uses a MATE desktop. Both are Debian based so you use "apt-get" which is what I'm personally use to. Best thing to do is make up a Live USB of the Distro you're interesting in using UNetbootin and give it a Test Drive. If it looks like something you can get around on and understand then install it and run it for a week. By the end of a week you should know if it's for you or not. If not then give another one a try. I'm sure many of us have done the little "Distro Hopping" deal with Linux.
    I know I went from Ubuntu 12.04 to Linux Mint 15 MATE then moved to Point Linux, Kali and finally to SolydX with a few others that I've forgotten or didn't care for. Just try em' and go with what you like. I mean it's not like you have to pay "someone" to run the Distro.
    "Now, what y'all wanna do?
    Wanna be hackers? Code crackers? Slackers
    Wastin' time with all the chatroom yakkers?
    9 to 5, chillin' at Hewlett Packard?"

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the advice. I'll be checking out the distro's.

Just Joined!
    Well, I've tried making live dvd's with solydx, Linux Mint, and open suse, but none of them will boot in the laptop. The only live dvd I have been able to get to load was my older 11.2 opensuse. Is there something I am doing wrong?

Are you trying 32-bit distros? If not, do so.
    Suggest trying Puppy Slacko 5.7.0
    "What you think about me is none of my business"

Just Joined!
    Yep.

I've tried nothing but 32 bit distros. Wondering if there is an incompatibility between my laptop drive and my desktop drive. My desktop is a Windows XP (soon to be Windows 7) box. I'll try the Slacko distro. Wonder also if I would need to install my old open suse first, and then see if that allows me to install the other distros.....

Linux Newbie
    How do Kelpie... Sounds like I'm (literally) one step ahead of you at the mo, having sorted out some similar thing's myself over the last 24 hours.

I haven't experienced the problems that you're mentioning with the DVD option, I'm not sure what you mean though when you say that they won't boot - a message comes up saying to load with a suitable drive (paraphrased... it's something along those lines) or that it just goes straight into windows instead of the Distro?

Have you gone into the BIOS and made sure the boot order is set up to check DVD / USB drives first?

Just Joined!
    Right now it seems to try to load from the DVD, but then skips over to Windows. I have the boot sequence set up for cd/dvd first, USB second and then the hard drive. I don't get any messages at all, it just skips over to Windows after trying. I did get it to boot with elementary linux and my open suse 11.2. Both of those fit on a cd. The combo drive I have is a Pioneer DVD-RW DVRKD08RS drive. Wondering if there is a problem with booting up with a DVD while not having a problem with a CD.

Just Joined!
    Well, I went ahead and transferred the iso images to my laptop and burned them on that drive. It's reading the dvd's now, so it must be a very picky drive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast