Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been wanting to get a cheap little laptop (ok, it's technically a Notebook, LOL) to put Android x86 on to play with so I picked up a Dell D420 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Picked up a Dell Latitude D420 w/optical drive today.

I've been wanting to get a cheap little laptop (ok, it's technically a Notebook, LOL) to put Android x86 on to play with so I picked up a Dell D420 for a pretty decent price off of EvilBay. It has an optical drive(CD I guess, maybe a DVD, that'd be better) and 802.11g wifi and I hope it had the bluetooth option installed so I won't have to bother with getting a bluetooth module for it. It has a little 1.8" PATA, ZIF HDD that's 60GB and spins at a whopping 4200 rpm although I did find a 30GB replacement HDD that's 7200 rpm for $25 bucks, just need to come up with the funds.
    It's suppose to have 1GB of RAM and from what I've read 512MB is attached so there must be another 512MB stick of RAM in the external slot that I can get to and I'll replace it with a 1GB stick to max. it out at 1.5GB.
    It looked to be privately owned, not a school or business turn in and it looked like it was in great shape but they owner did say the battery would only hold a charge for about 45 minutes so that'll need to be replaced at some point in time and soon, again, if I can come up with the funds. It's a 12.1" wide screen so I'll probably set it up so my wife can also use it in place of her little Netbook although she says that she really likes that little 8.9" Netbook, go figure.
    Not 100% sure if I'll keep it or not or clean it up and throw Linux Mint 17 or Ubuntu 14.04 on it and try to sell it. I guess if I could sell it and make a few bucks then I could roll that over into something a bit better.
    Anyway, this is the first laptop I've gotten in a few months and it'll be fun to get it fixed up and see what it'll do. Just wanted to share.
    No matter where ya' go, there ya' are.

Linux Guru
    Just a distro to try since you like to play

Salix

In case you ever wanted to try Slackware in a Openbox config.

Another one to toy with
    Get Roasted!

Have fun with the Dell.

I was just going to run Manjaro GNOME or Antergos with GNOME on it since that's kind of my "go to" Distros now. Hope it has bluetooth but if it doesn't it's an easy enough fix for under $5 bucks. Also found a 30GB 7200rpm HDD for $30 and a new 6 cell battery for $19 but then IIRC I said all that in the above post. Man, getting old sucks. LOL.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Well, got the Notebook today, very nice condition, actually had the RAM maxed out at 1.5GB so I didn't have to use the 1GB stick that I had, battery is a 9 cell and sticks out past the palm rest which I really don't care for and it needs to be replaced anyway so I'm going to go with a 6 cell that'll fit flush.
    I went a head and installed Antergos Xfce on it since it only has 1.5GB of RAM and after checking my RAM use on my laptop and seeing that with GNOME and two tabs open in Firefox I was using close to 1.5GB I figured that Xfce would give me more wiggle room and I'm use to it anyway having ran an Xfce desktop with my Manjaro installs. The cooling fan did seem to run quite a bit but it's whisper quite and the vents looked clean and clear but there's not much "ground clearance" between the bottom of the Notebook and whatever it's sitting on.
    Anyway, I like it, add another laptop to my "arsenal", LOL.

P.S.
    Have to do a quick update. I caved and reinstalled Antergos with the GNOME desktop. Guess I've just gotten more use to GNOME now then Xfce. Oh well, it should be fine I guess.
    Last edited by TNFrank; 07-24-2014 at 05:35 AM.