Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
As some of you know I recently picked up a Dell D420 and it's a pretty sweet little Notebook. I love the screen on it, nice and bright and it's ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Dell D600 Series vs Dell D800 Serise?

As some of you know I recently picked up a Dell D420 and it's a pretty sweet little Notebook. I love the screen on it, nice and bright and it's a wide screen so you can see what you're doing. The style is really nice too so it looks good.
    My OCD is kicking in and I want to get a mate for it so I'll have a pair of Dell D Series laptops. The D420 for a small, take along and something larger for a stay at home for desktop use.
    I thought I'd figured it out, the Dell D820, 15.4" with a decent Core Duo, DVD-RW drive and at least 4GB of RAM. But I'm also thinking about the D620/D630 14.1" and the other D, the D830 as well.
    I know that the nVidia graphics cards had issues with catching fire and there was a battery recall on some of those models from reading the Dell Wiki but I'd like to see if any of ya'll have those laptops and what you really think about them?
    Which do you think would be best for a "Desktop" laptop? Anyway, thanks and don't be shy, post up because I need some good advice in this matter.
    No matter where ya' go, there ya' are.

Linux Guru
    Just Teasing.

I have no idea as I don't have or use a single Dell Computer. My OCD HP 14" , 4gig ram, incomplete Chromebook bid fell through for the weekend. Somebody wanted it worse than I did.

Linux Newbie
    In general I prefer plain vanilla laptops as there are fewer issues. I wish my I-7 laptop had generic Intel video instead of the nVidia it has. My HP 8440P is just about the perfect generic laptop, Core I-5, 8GB RAM, Intel video and network hardware. The only drawback is it has a 14" screen and is not great as a multimedia display box. I bought the AMD A-10 to fill the multimedia role and it does it well with the 15.6" screen. I do use the Catalyst driver in Linux as it just runs smoother...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Prices on both seem to be about the same as do the specs. I'm currently using an HP/Compaq NC6400 as my primary and it has a 14.1" screen, seems big enough so the D620/630 may be a good way to go but since it really won't be a Take a Long and just be used for deaktop duty the 15.4" wouldn't be a problem at all either. The little D420 is a really handy size to take with me so that base is covered. I don't know, I guess I could be happy either way. Just have to see what's available when funds allow me to buy. Once I sell my other NC6400 and NC4400 then I can really start looking for the replacement.

Ok, after reading in the Dell Wiki about some problems that some of these units had I think I've narrowed it down to either a D630 or D830 since they're newer and didn't have the issues that the older 6/820's had.

HI

I have worked with the D600, D610, D620, D630 and the D800. Between the D620 and D630 I'd take the D630 just as you said, they are newer and have faster procs. About the rest they are basically the same, and many parts are interchangeable. They will be fine for a desktop - laptop. I have not seen the D830 but the screen should be bigger, better for a desktop replacement.

In general I like the Latitudes "D" series, to me they are a lot more reliable than then newer "E" series

Linux Guru
    Well, This OCD thread tugged on my wallet and I have a bid up that ends tonight on a Dell 12" XT2 Tablet with a pivot screen.
    I probably won't win it, but will find out later. I'll SSD it if I get it.

Edit: Won it. Last second ambush bids did not cut the mustard. 1st touchscreen PC for me (uses a pen)
    2gig of ram, dual core 1.6ghz, no HD (caddy and everything else there), 50 bucks plus 24 bucks shipping .

Now for the research on what wireless chip it uses.

2nd edit: looks like I finally bought a broadcom device. B43 I am aquainted with though. Looks like I might have to turn off the touch screen though.
    Research, research,research.
    Last edited by rokytnji; 08-02-2014 at 02:32 AM.

Unfortunately when I told my wife I was going to spend around $100 on a D830 she blew a gasket. Never mind the part where I said I was going to sell two of my laptops and my guitar and GET around $450, she didn't hear that part, only heard the part where I spent money. Soooooooooooooooooooooooo, long story short. I'm selling my NC6400 Testing laptop, my guitar and keeping the other NC6400 and NC4400 that have the SSD's in em'. and then I'll get a small SSD for the D420 and that'll be my "Take a Long" laptop and the other two will be my main and backup. Women, can't live with em', can't teach em' about computers. LOL.
    We have since made up and all is well in Tennessee Frank land but my plan to get the D830 is still out but I will get an SSD for the D420 one way or another.

Just check it first

Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    I will get an SSD for the D420 one way or another.
    The D420 and D430 have an unusual SATA interfase and disk size, I think they call it a 1.8" disk
    Ah, but there are some in this form factor :
    1.8" SSD - Solid State SATA Drives
    Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by arespi View Post
    The D420 and D430 have an unusual SATA interfase and disk size, I think they call it a 1.8" disk
    Ah, but there are some in this form factor :
    1.8" SSD - Solid State SATA Drives
    Good luck
    Nope, not a SATA, it's a PATA/IDE with a ZIF connection. Yes, it is a 1.8", same as Apple uses in their iPod and Macbook Air. I can get a KingSpec 64GB for around $55 bucks but there's no TRIM , the Run Core of the same size would cost $110 and I don't know if they have TRIM or not. Either way my wife has been running her Acer Aspire ZG5 Netbook with a 32GB KingSpec SSD for quite a while without TRIM and things seem to be running just fine. I guess they have some other method of Garbage Collection in the firmware to keep things working.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast