Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
So im in the market for a new laptop and i found a few within my price range. The deciding factor will come down to the processor. I know what ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

amd vs. intel

So im in the market for a new laptop and i found a few within my price range. The deciding factor will come down to the processor. I know what to expect from intel, but what about AMD? The machine im looking at has the AMD A6-6310 Quad-Core APU, im told that i can expect AMD to run 1/3 slower than the comparable intel model and that i may run into compatability issues as well? I plan on having ubuntu pre loaded if it drops the price, but if the price is the same ill just get win7 for the product key and install ubuntu myself. So basically is it worth it to get the AMD or just spend a bit more cash on a model with intel?

Linux Newbie
    My daughter has an AMD A6 and it runs about as fast as my older Intel Core I-3. My AMD A10 runs about as fast as my Core I-5. The AMD performance in Windows seems higher as obviously it has likely been optimized for that platform. There are a bunch of CPU benchmarking sites and Intel generally beats AMD across the board...

Intel normally runs a bit faster and cooler then AMD. If you're on a tight budget then AMD is fine but personally I'd rather go Intel if I can.
    "Now, what y'all wanna do?
    Wanna be hackers? Code crackers? Slackers
    Wastin' time with all the chatroom yakkers?
    9 to 5, chillin' at Hewlett Packard?"

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the info guys. Budget isnt a huge concern but it is there. Its a dell inspiron 3000 series and the intel version is dual core i3 and the ram specs and hd space are also less on the intel version. For another $200 i can get an i5 dual core basically same specs as the amd. What about compatability issues? Will ubuntu run ok? I dont mind spending a little more but saving some cash is allways nice, unless its a turd of cource.

Linux Newbie
    My HP 8440P with Core I-5 and Intel graphics is a perfect Linux box and runs everything well and it needs no proprietary drivers. While my A10 has run all distros I've tried, if I only had a single box it would be Intel based. I use the A10 as a multimedia machine as it has Beats audio and is great for watching videos and listening to music...

Just Joined!
    Well the dell has the A6 not A10. Im sure its more than powerfull enough to stream movies and music. The most i would be doing is run some virtual machines, im a utilities engineer at a hosptial so i configure alot of building automation HMI's. Scada, mod bus and BACnet protocols, so i need to be able to run GE proficy, MS visio and some siemens software. Ill have to do some more research before i make a decision. Thanks for the input though, good to have some objective opinions.

IIRC the i5 doesn't have Hyper Threading but the i3 and i7 does. I'd rather have an i3 with Hyper Threading then an i5 without.

Just Joined!
    Like i said, more research is needed. The IT dept provided me with a latitude d630 for now but since they consider it a networked PC i have trouble getting my job done. Last week i went to move a database from my bosses laptop to mine via flashdrive and the d630 removed and quarantined the entire database. A latitude would be ideal but new ones are out of my price range

I just picked up a Dell D630 and it's running Manjaro Xfce like a house a fire. Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz, 4GB of RAM, SSD, it's got to be one of the fasted computers I've every owned so far. Not sure what you're running on your D630 but Linux works great on Dell computers.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    I just picked up a Dell D630 and it's running Manjaro Xfce like a house a fire. Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz, 4GB of RAM, SSD, it's got to be one of the fasted computers I've every owned so far. Not sure what you're running on your D630 but Linux works great on Dell computers.
    I love the D630 i have at work, but because i work for a big healthcare system, the IT dept has all the networked machines locked down. I couldnt even install chrome on my own, IT had to do it. About a year ago 2 laptops and a handfull of flash drives were stollen from a staff members house. GiB upon GiB of employee and patient data were compromised, so now they watch what goes on with networked machines pretty close. Ended up getting 5 years of ID theft protection for free though lol. Anyway, I digress. The D630 im using has win 7 installed, it works good but like i said IT makes it hard to do anything. I wish i could install a linux distro but thats never going to happen, plus i would have to dual boot win 7 anyway, all the software i need wont run in wine. Or atleast i cant get it to run in wine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast