Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone I have a packard Bell Easynote G1340 Intel Celeron M 1.7ghz Windows XP Home 30gig hardrive ATI Radeon 9100 Mobility I've booted SUSE 9.1 Personal from LiveCD and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Parkard Bell Easynote G1340

Hi everyone I have a packard Bell Easynote G1340
    Intel Celeron M
    1.7ghz
    Windows XP Home
    30gig hardrive
    ATI Radeon 9100 Mobility

I've booted SUSE 9.1 Personal from LiveCD and I can only go to 640 480 res 1024 768 It splits the screen into two, Is it a video driver problem?
    It also runs slow compared to my brothers Toshiba Satilite.

If I install Suse as a dual boot with XP on the hardrive can I easily take it off?
    Is xp worth keeping on as I've been thinking of using windows 98 or 2000
    as i've used windows 98 for 2 years and I dont need alot of the features on xp, or is it a headache to install all the drivers etc

what other distros would you recommend for my laptop specs?

This is my first Laptop and when I charge the battery the battery light doesnt come on but It charges okay, Should I be worried?

I used to have a desktop and everything worked fine

AMD 1.2ghz
    Windows XP Home/Suse Personal 9.1 dual boot
    256mb
    7gig hardrive
    ATI Radeon 9200

Linux Engineer
    Since I'm not using liveCd's, I'll explain what I know of your concern.

If I install Suse as a dual boot with XP on the hardrive can I easily take it off?
    YEs of course, but you wont take it off
    Is xp worth keeping on as I've been thinking of using windows 98 or 2000
    Windows 98 is not to be used, windows2000 is a great choice, stable, and bug's, security hole as well as services pack have been there for over 5-6 years now compare to 3-4 for XP... If you think installing driver and compatibility is an issue you dont to be dealing with, widnowsXP is there for better support.
    as i've used windows 98 for 2 years and I dont need alot of the features on xp, or is it a headache to install all the drivers etc
    WindowsXP pretty much have all the existing driver and will run really smooth..(make sure you service pack it!)
    what other distros would you recommend for my laptop specs?
    MANY are available, here's a site you can have a look for laptop Distro's
    his is my first Laptop and when I charge the battery the battery light doesnt come on but It charges okay, Should I be worried?
    not if it says its charging under windows... the light could be burned

Hope this helps
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Thanks for the reply SUSE detected all of the laptops hardware with no problem, It defiently Is much more suited to performance on a laptop than windows xp

How would I go about setting up the internet?
    on windows i'm using the NTFS file format,and I know Linux cant transfer files from windows to Linux using this file format,
    How do I set up the BT software In Linux or do I just have to have the drivers?

I'm using BT Broadband Basic
    BT Voyager 105 USB Modem
    I've looked at the issues and I've got to have an ethernet(what exactly is an ethernet)

On my system start-up It stated I've got an ethernet but I'm really not sure where to go with this.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    To share files frmo one to the other, create a swap partition in the FAT32 format, this way both platform will be able to handle the file in RW mode
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps