Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone! I'm trying to inform myself about Laptops because I'm about to buy one. I'm also not sure how difficult it will be to install run a Linux OS ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Eis
    Just Joined!

Buy a Linux Laptop

Hi everyone!

I'm trying to inform myself about Laptops because I'm about to buy one. I'm also not sure how difficult it will be to install run a Linux OS on a Laptop, since I only tried out some Linux on my desktop.

But I found a nice Laptop on linuxcertified.com.
    http://www.linuxcertified.com/linux-laptop-lc2210d.html

Do you think this linuxcertified company has justified prices, or can I get the same Laptop in common stores cheaper? Can you recommend this?

I'm wondering about it because it would be quite convenient to just buy a laptop on which linux is running from the beginning on...

gr, Boris

Linux User
    Have you looked at http://www.emperorlinux.com/
    Long live the revolution!
    Have a nice day.
    If you want real change vote Libertarian!

Eis
    Just Joined!
    Hi!

I surely did. But I don't really want to pay 2000 dollars, you know?

1500 is already crucial. So the question is how much effort it usually takes me if I just buy a common laptop for 1200 bucks or less and install my own linux.

gr, Boris

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

LC2210D laptop

is pretty good value. I have one and give it a thumbs up..

if your on a budget, chances are ebay might be your friend. if you've got spare time and broadband you can try out loads of different distros on a cheaper older system and still get full functionality out of it. ive got a 233 mhz 64mb ram laptop running on dam small linux lovely. gets on the net and runs open office and the works
    You know, aliens are going to come to earth in 50 years and kill the hell out of us for DDoSing their networks with this SETI crap
    registered linux user #388463

Just Joined!
    I think you could definitely install it yourself without a lot of trouble. I found the install to be mostly just time consuming because my machine is older, but it wasn't difficult at all. This was with Red Hat, but it basically just walked me through it. You could partition it to leave Windows on it, or you could format the hard drive straight out of the box...once again, more time consuming than troubling, depending on the speed of the machine itself. If it's new, it shouldn't be too bad.

Wal-Mart is also selling laptops on their web site, I don't know about in the store, with Lindows Linspire on them.