Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi There! I searched some of the topics here but I didn't find my Problem solved. So I would like to come up with another question: Which Processor should I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Eis
    Just Joined!

CPU

Hi There!

I searched some of the topics here but I didn't find my Problem solved. So I would like to come up with another question:

Which Processor should I choose for a Laptop? I mean I hear everywhere that the Centrino Technology from Intel has the best power efficiency and is because of a couple of reasons the best choice; at least when you have windows running.
    So there is PowerNow from AMD and the AMD CPUs are quite common as well. So what is recommended? Is there a huge difference between those?

Please help me.
    gr, Boris

Linux Engineer
    Always depends on your personnaly choices... I like AMD more then Intel... althou the centrino is VERY good... but costs a lot more too... if price isnt an issue... if you dont think youll use it much on the batery, a P4 could also be considered...
    With lots of batery usage, idd go with the AMD
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Quote Originally Posted by UgoDeschamps
    Always depends on your personnaly choices... I like AMD more then Intel... althou the centrino is VERY good... but costs a lot more too... if price isnt an issue... if you dont think youll use it much on the batery, a P4 could also be considered...
    With lots of batery usage, idd go with the AMD
    Centrino is a good technology, but (to my knowledge) Intel has not (yet) released Linux drivers for it. They stated that they owe it to the Linux community to release either specs or a driver for Centrino some time ago, though...
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by sarumont
    Centrino is a good technology, but (to my knowledge) Intel has not (yet) released Linux drivers for it. They stated that they owe it to the Linux community to release either specs or a driver for Centrino some time ago, though...
    I know that Intel provide many drivers that the centrino uses for the linux platform. (graphic / WLAN / ...)
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Quote Originally Posted by UgoDeschamps
    Quote Originally Posted by sarumont
    I know that Intel provide many drivers that the centrino uses for the linux platform. (graphic / WLAN / ...)
    Ahh...so maybe they have. Wintel isn't quite the partnership it used to be...
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux User
    Take a look at http://ipw2100.sourceforge.net/ for the Intel 2100 3b (802.11b) driver and firmware or http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/ for the intel 2200 (802.11b/g) driver and firmware.

I currently have the 2100 3b working fine in a Toshiba laptop.

I used these instructions to get things working. http://frealek.dotnode.com/blog/view/177

Linux Newbie
    The Pentium-M processor for a laptop is the current "way to go." And rightly so. It runs at clock speeds comparable to the Pentium 4 processor, without producing nearly as much heat or consuming nearly as much power. In fact, a lot of people are building desktop machines out of Pentium-Ms. AMD doesn't really have anything that can compare to the successes the Ms have had in the mobile market. As was stated before however, they do cost a bit more than most of AMDs mobile chips.

Is cost your biggest issue? If not, I would suggest strongly going with the Pentium-M. And don't take my word or anyone else's for it, go read up on the processors so you can make an informed decision. Knowledge is power!

Robert Peaslee
    Taking a walk on the wonderful path computers have lain before me

Hey, buy the the Intel stuff, the higher the price the better, I have stock with them. But, I ONLY use AMD because they realy work.

Eis
    Just Joined!
    Thanks a lot all.

I am now wondering between AMD 64 or Centrino. This is my only question.
    Actually I think it's wiser to choose the Centrino because it is more advanced in its mobile technology, it's efficiencey of power usage and speed. Plus when I use windows every now and then, it's completely supported. It's only minor more expensive, though.
    But somehow I just like AMD rather and maybe it's 64 bit tech is of importance in the future.

Do you have some comparisons or test pages of these CPUs? I would like to get more information.

boris

Eis
    Just Joined!
    AHa.

I have just found out that there is a new AMD coming out which is supposed to be particularlu mobile. So the current AMD 64 isn't. That's a reason against amd 64.

Having done some research about the AMD or Centrino issue, I found out that it's easy as falling off a log to find this question. But the answers or helpful hints are not widely spread, I see.

So maybe s.o. here knows something really good. Otherwise I have to keep on searching.

take care

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast